University of Florida Acceptances

• 2 weeks later...

This is, perhaps, going to sound strange, but can you tell me how course registration went? I'm looking at the course offerings for fall and I'm already excited. Wanted to know when registration happens and what the chances are that I'll actually be able to enroll in courses I'm excited about.

Can you tell me if its possible to live off the fellowship offered by UF in the first year and what's the teaching load like? Is Florida relatively affordable? The rent listings for the different graduate housing  arrangements seem quite steep if we're not allowed to take roommates. I could PM you my fellowship offer if that helps

UF is one of the cheaper places to live - that said it is in the middle of nowhere. There is a bunch of stuff around the campus, etc. (it is a college town), but everything around it is incredibly rural (not that there is anything bad about that)--so, rent and everything else is on the cheap side. I don't know what your fellowship amount is - feel free to add it to the google doc or you can PM it to me and I'll add it. Anyway, I suspect you can live on a lot less in Gainesville than elsewhere.

I was informed of my acceptance and funding package when I called up the English Graduate Office on the 8th of March. Dr. Dobrin, graduate coordinator, had said an email would soon follow but I am yet to receive anything. Therefore, I can PM you what I *think* I understood of my offer as I was pretty excited and speechless and dazed all at once when I received the news and its been a while since then.

@bluecheese My message sending options are not working so here goes, this is what I have understood of my funding offer from Dr. Dobrin as I am yet to receive that acceptance letter.
A fellowship of $10,781 for the first year and TA with a 1/1 teaching load the next 3 years after that. I cannot recall if anything had been mentioned about health insurance. I understand that there are many competitive fellowships that one can apply for (as per the website). 
I'd appreciate your feedback on this funding package in relation to living expenses in Gainesville, Florida.Hi as mentioned earlier, this is what I have understood of my funding offer from Dr. Dobrin as I am yet to receive that acceptance letter.
A fellowship of $10,781 for the first year and TA with a 1/1 teaching load the next 3 years after that. I cannot recall if anything had been mentioned about health insurance. I understand that there are many competitive fellowships that one can apply for (as per the website). 
I'd appreciate your feedback on this funding package in relation to living expenses in Gainesville, Florida.

If you look around, you can find a decent and relatively cheap place to live in Gainesville. Also, if you don't have a car, there is a rather reliable bus system (free for UF students). As far as apartments go, I would NOT recommend staying at the Continuum (a huge graduate housing complex by downtown that is an extension of the UF Housing branch)--one is treated as though one is living in a dorm, and nobody needs/wants that. Are any of you coming to the Welcome/Visiting Days this upcoming weekend? 

As far course registration goes, it usually takes a little while for them to sort it all out and finalize everything, but you usually get your top choices (so it seems). What courses are you interested in taking? 

I'm definitely interested in Reading the YA Romance and Post-Colonial Theory, though many seem very interesting (I'm probably getting too excited, too early).

Another question, though I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer it. Do you know what MA students teach? Is it discussion sections of a larger lecture? Or at least two of the same comp class? This is a question I wish I had thought to ask.

And I should be at the welcome weekend.

I am interested in the courses on Post Colonial Theory and Weimar Cinema. Could you suggest some locations close to the campus or on campus where rent is cheap enough for a single tenant. 

I am interested in the courses on Post Colonial Theory and Weimar Cinema. Could you suggest some locations close to the campus or on campus where rent is cheap enough for a single tenant. 

Here is a link to a fairly comprehensive guide to apartments around campus, suggested by current graduates and maintained by the English Graduate Organization: https://sites.google.com/site/egogators/student-guides/apartments

I'm definitely interested in Reading the YA Romance and Post-Colonial Theory, though many seem very interesting (I'm probably getting too excited, too early).

Another question, though I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer it. Do you know what MA students teach? Is it discussion sections of a larger lecture? Or at least two of the same comp class? This is a question I wish I had thought to ask.

And I should be at the welcome weekend.

I am a second year MA at UF. First year MAs teach ENC3254 (professional communication for engineers) both fall and spring. Also, in the fall, you co-teach ENC1101, and in the spring you co-teach ENC1102.