Theater Masters Degree (M.A.)

theaterteacher

Anyone know when Mizzou, WashU and University or Oregon are making decisions on MA programs?  Do rejection letters come first, than acceptance letters?  I have received two rejections for MA programs in mid Feb. but nothing yet so on pins and needles!

• 2 weeks later...

Every school is different in when they hand out rejections and acceptances. I'm already committed to a program for the fall - Villanova. And the only other MA program I applied to was Illinois State University, to which I also was accepted. I did apply for the playwriting MFA at Indiana though and have not heard a single peep since I sent in my application in december! Other schools have kept me updated throughout the way, which I've appreciated, but I understand the frustration of waiting! Which is your top program? Also, I was wondering what your research areas of interests were? Mine at present are tied up in colonial theatre history and  plays around the revolutionary era. 

Hope you get good news soon!

Heard no from Oregon but it wasn't a top choice.  Hoping for WashU but still have not heard from them, as well as Mizzou.  Anyhow at this point my focus is on performance studies, but I have a strong interest in contemporary theater, race, ethnicity, and performance and work being produced for both International and local Fringe festivals.

I hope you hear something soon! If it helps I haven't heard anything from Indiana either, maybe they just take longer with all programs. Ah performance studies! Awesome stuff. I'll admit I had a love for acting in undergrad but somehow all the theory between Stanislavski, Meisner, etc. went over my head and jumbled everything up to the point where I was questioning every choice I was making-thus making it no fun anymore. I have hopes I'll find that love again someday. Maybe it can come back with the right teacher, who knows. But the one book I had to read where everything made sense: The Art of Acting, by Stella Adler. THAT for whatever reason clicked in all the right places! You know, a fellow drama major in undergrad for her senior thesis, she took her production to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and she brought a play from over there back to give to another major who had a nation and probably world premiere for her senior thesis in acting. Pretty cool stuff now that I look back on it. 

Devised theater is awesome. I've never been a part of a project like that myself but I've always wanted to try it. We had writer's theaters in undergrad where we'd also have workshops and give feedback and such, but that was about the gist of the free project reign around the department and the student groups. That sounds like an excellent thesis project for you :)!  

You don't know until you get the letter, so don't stress out over not hearing anything yet. Sure, waiting to hear can be very stressful, but don't worry too much over what it might be. Hope it works out for you!