Accepted to a PhD program in Spanish with a TA in Russian... Did they make a mistake?

Sofia86

Hi everybody. Like a month ago, I was accepted to a PhD program in Spanish. The letter stated that I would either receive a fellowship or a TA position. To be honest, I even preffered the TA, because I want to improve my teaching skills. Besides Spanish, I also know French, Portuguese, and Russian, and I mentioned this in my application; however, not in the one for graduate appointment. Today, I received the university's offer and it says that, in case I accept, I will be appointed as an instructor in Russian. I mean, I know Russian very well, but I feel far more confident in the Romance languages. Also, I don't want to go so far from the Spanish. So, my questions are:

Is this common practice? Does anyone else study one subject and teach another? Is it possible that they made a mistake? and Can I ask them to offer me a TA in Spanish?

Thank you. :)))  

This is very common in my department, and I've often had to TA classes well outside of my expertise. It only makes us stronger teachers and scholars. Don't worry about it, but if you're still feeling uneasy, why not contact the DGS? 

Email them and ask if it's a mistake. Just say that your main area of focus is Spanish, and add that you do know Russian, would be willing to TA it if necessary, but would feel more comfortable with Spanish.

Hi, everybody. Thanks for the replies. It was a mistake after all. They sent me the offer again, corrected and changed to a TA position in Spanish. I never called or emailed them and I was about to decline because of a typo. I should have listened to you and contacted them earlier. Thanks again.