Manchester, UK

Ohm

Hi, I'm going to attend the Mphil program at the University of Manchester. Anyone know anything about the place? Any tips?

Hi Ohm. I lived in Manchester for 5 months. In general, it's quite an affordable place to live. Groceries from Lidl and Asda are cheap and there are plenty of affordable eateries around. Student accommodation is also quite affordable and a great way to meet people - I would suggest staying at student accommodation for at least your first semester. If you're not the party-going type, then stay away from the Fallowfield area (lots of noisy undergraduates and crazy parties every day of the week!). To get around, the campus is quite well serviced by buses, though Manchester is small enough that you can walk to most places - getting from the city campus to the city takes about 20-30 mins on foot. What else would you like to know? I loved Manchester and I'm sure you'll have a great time! :)

• 8 months later...

Hi there! Just got accepted to University of Manchester for the 2014 term. Any info you can share about what I'm anticipating to be a great city to move my family to? I'm interested particularly in "safe" cities to live in, what the general atmosphere is like, etc. Any general info will help as well. Thanks for your help!

• 2 years later...