$10,000 for Bloomington Indiana?

mhcrosefly311

Guest guest

I don't think so, I think you would need a roommate to live on 10,000 a year. You should also double check with your program about "fees." These run about 600 dollars per semester and are not covered by tuition remission. Incidentally, the first set of fees are due before you get your first pay-check in mid-September.

One bedroom apartments range from 350-700, with varying utilities included.

Guest me too

I'm looking at living in Bloomington on 11,000 and I do have to pay that $600 fee I guess. Glad to know it's due before the stipend check comes. I think that if you can get an apartment for $350-700 you should be able to live on that. Frugal living, but food and bills. I lived on 10,000 last year in Chicago with a $600 apartment and was able to buy a semi-decent bottle of wine ($14) just about every day! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest me too

Actually, after doing my taxes, I realize it was more like 12,000. I lived alone in a very small studio apartment through UC grad housing (575/month). Had I been single, I'm sure I would have gone out more, but since my boyfriend is also a grad student, we mostly studied all the time anyway, and cooked at home (while we drank the wine!). I don't have a car, I use a bike and public transportation, which can get annoying in Chicago in the winter, but it's doable.