Am I waitlisted? How to figure out what's going on...

monkeefugg

I applied to 11 Philosophy PhD programs

I got 5 rejections in a timely fashion, all arriving within the same relatively narrow time frame

Then what seems to have been an excrutiatingly LOOOONNGG silence...

What does this mean?

Am I probably on an unofficial waitlist?

If that's the case, why didn't they notify me?

Are these posts people make about being waitlisted, etc, at these programs hoaxes? (who would do such a thing?)

I know Emory's notifications are being sent out later than usual this year. I'm probably rejected there anyway.

And NSSR probably hasn't decided yet

But that I haven't heard from the other 4 sort of leads me to believe I haven't been ruled out yet.

What do you guys think?

I e-mailed DePaul and Villanova, so I might get a response tomorrow or something.

(I'm going to die!!!!!)

I'm soooo obsessed and anxious and neurotic and sick. I can't concentrate on my thesis!!! BAH!!

There seem to be a lot of schools/programmes taking their sweet time with notifications. I'm still waiting on 5 of my 8- even though I have unofficial info from several of those. Worst is Columbia (Art History), which apparently notified several people over a month ago, but hasn't sent me a thing- even though I've been communicating with a prof, who indicated decisions were made long ago. My best guess it that there's a lot of unofficial give and take going on behind the scenes, and that the programmes are waiting until they can predict what's going to happen (who's going to accept, who's going to go elsewhere) before they say much officially.

Basically: we're all the in dark, and it sucks. I don't like the dark.

These jerks on the livejournal and whatnot seem to think that all these ppl who claim to be waitlisted know that because they were contacted and that if you haven't heard anything, it's safe to assume you've been rejected.

UHM.... WTF??!!!

That would be such BS

(not to mention, the end of my life)

Programs have to notify you!!!!!

I refuse to believe these loser idiots online who've been chattering away, pretending they know how the world works.

I'm so angry!!

GGGAARRRRR!!!!!!!!

different schools have different procedures. some send out rejections along with acceptances and have a leftover pile of 'maybes' that make up their waitlist. some just start with the most awesome applicants and work there way down til all their slots are filled up and then reject everybody thats left.

I applied to 11 Philosophy PhD programs

I got 5 rejections in a timely fashion, all arriving within the same relatively narrow time frame

Then what seems to have been an excrutiatingly LOOOONNGG silence...

What does this mean?

Am I probably on an unofficial waitlist?

If that's the case, why didn't they notify me?

Are these posts people make about being waitlisted, etc, at these programs hoaxes? (who would do such a thing?)

I know Emory's notifications are being sent out later than usual this year. I'm probably rejected there anyway.

And NSSR probably hasn't decided yet

But that I haven't heard from the other 4 sort of leads me to believe I haven't been ruled out yet.

What do you guys think?

I e-mailed DePaul and Villanova, so I might get a response tomorrow or something.

(I'm going to die!!!!!)

I'm soooo obsessed and anxious and neurotic and sick. I can't concentrate on my thesis!!! BAH!!

Then wait and see what they tell you. Some programs are simply not in any hurry to notify rejected applicants of their status. But it is also possible that you are, in fact, on a waitlist, and simply weren't notified of this fact. There's no way to tell really.

These jerks on the livejournal and whatnot seem to think that all these ppl who claim to be waitlisted know that because they were contacted and that if you haven't heard anything, it's safe to assume you've been rejected.

I was surprised by the same kind of chatter (not on livejournal, but on gradcafe and from friends familiar with the doctoral admissions process), but I can see how it is derived now that I've just about heard from all of my programs. For the programs where I was given an offer of admission, professors contacted me personally to let me know of the good news and to ask if I had other potential offers. And the contact from professors came weeks before the official notice from the school. Even for the program that placed me on the waitlist, I received an email from the department and then a professor to let me know of my status. For the programs that rejected me, I did not hear anything before receiving a form letter about my rejection in my mailbox or inbox. Maybe the tone of what you read and heard on livejournal was ungracious or vitriolic, but the chatter on gradcafe seems to be both forthright and amenable. And unfortunately, I've learned that a good number of schools (but not all) just don't have the same kind of incentive or desire to contact rejected applicants in as timely a manner as done for accepted or waitlisted applicants.

I got four rejects and am still waiting on 6 schools. If they don't have the time to send rejection letters, why don't they hire a dozen monkeys and equip them with typewriters.. oh wait that will just replicate the admissions committee.

haha, that's an insult to monkees!!!