Accept then decline for funding?

Sryahmay

this is a hypothetical situation I see occurring for me int he future. 

I've been accepted into University A for a PhD program, but no funding (they do not guarantee funding) I'd be happy to attend should they get funding for me but they may not be able to secure my funding by April 15th. 

I've been wait listed into University B for a PhD but funding would be guaranteed. 

University B said it may take them until May 1st to move me off the wait list, but I have to tell University A if I am going to accept by April 15th.

Should I get into University B without University A securing funding I'd be inclined to go to University B for obvious financial reasons. 

I know its a no-no to decline an offer after accepting it especially after April 15th but seeing as funding is the determining factor I"m wondering if it would at all be different? 

Well, it's not kind of taboo, but unless your acceptance agreement is binding, there's nothing they can do about it.

In your case, I think you have no choice but to accept Uni A anyway, right? It's kind of silly to decline one and hope you'll get off a waitlist, because afaik, that's very rare. 

Is it not possible to talk to University B about your predicament?  It's not really fair to make you wait past the deadline to commit to your other program.  Maybe you could at least get a gauge on the likelihood that you will be offered admission?

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use