Call All Vets - Yellow Ribbon Program

Kadisha

Alright guys. I have a very simple question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I don't know if it's cause I'm exhausted from a stressful week or what. But can some one please explain how the Yellow Ribbon Program works? 

So here's my best understanding (though I don't even qualify):

If you are at the 100% benefit level for the post 9/11 GI Bill, private schools that participate in the YRP will kick in money above and beyond what the GI Bill pays for (since private schools are obviously a lot more than the public school rates that GI Bill pays). The gov't will then match those additional funds. It's important to note that you must be at the 100% level (3+years qualifying active service) and schools often have very limited slots for the YRP.

Example:

Harvard Kennedy School offers up to 30 spots at $7,500. With the gov't kicking in another $7,500, plus the $19,000 that the GI bill pays, you're looking at $34,000 paid toward tuition plus obviously the monthly housing allowance to cover rent and what not. 

Thanks for the clarification. My problem is right now is trying to figure out if spending the extra money on tuition versus going to a school that gives me a free ride through the YRP is going to be of benefit.