UMCP Vs RPI Vs TAMU

Guest helpme

Guest helpme

Hi Folks,

Excellent forum this is!!!

I need to know which is best in terms of placement for an International Graduate student with 2+ years of experience in an IT Global Major:

1. MS in IT...............Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY

2. MS in Info Mgmt........Univ of Maryland, College Park

3. MS in MIS.......Texas A&M Univ, College Station-Mays School of Business

Appreciate a reply

Regards,

moi

Guest evanthejerk

But go to College Park. This is the only school on your list where you'd have a legitimate, functioning metropolis at your fingertips (DC is literally a few minutes away). I would think that as a foreign student you would enjoy having a city nearby. And should you find yourself in danger, or the focus of an international incident, you could flee to your embassy. Troy is in upstate NY - I think it's in the Albany area, or maybe Syracuse - regardless, a bleak, depressing region where a large number of people understandably commit suicide. Also, the whole state of NY has a sizeable redneck population once you're anywhere north of NYC Metro (I'd say beginning in Putnam County). "The locals" can make you real uncomfortable. And while I'm sure Texas A&M is a blast as an undergrad, if you're over the college lifestyle, I can't think of any reason to live in that part of Texas.

Now of course UMCP has its drawbacks. It's unlike other college towns I've seen in that it's not "convenient" - the campus has no "miniature city" where all of life's necessities are packed into a student-centered strip mall. There is very little to do in College Park proper. I know of only a few restaurants where you can have an actual sit-down dinner, and I'm including Chipotle, Jerry's Subs and Pizza, and the two tables in the backroom of Tick Tock Liquor. I have no research or specific knowledge to back up this next claim, but PG County has to be top 5 in terms of highest crime rate. I say this using Brooklyn (pre-trendy, before the hipster migration) and the Boogiedown Bronx as reference points. But, as stated earlier, you could live in a nice area of DC.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use