Columbia vs Michigan

bukowski

Hello all. While both Columbia and Michigan are wonderful institutions, I am having a hard time deciding which program is right for me. My heart tugs for Columbia. Not only is the program ideal for its' curriculum flexibility and emphasis on macro social work and research, I've always been smitten by the university's history and culture. My practical side leans towards Michigan for its' #1 ranking, strong program, and ultimately, tuition and living is a LOT cheaper! If you can shed some insight on either of the programs, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks for your time!

I am a firmer believer that no one should go into unnecessary excessive debt for a MSW degree. The starting salaries ($30,000-$50,000, on average) are not high enough to justify it. Financial aid is extremely important as well as the cost of living of the surrounding area. Ann Arbor is more affordable on a graduate student's budget than New York City. However, you should also consider what are your career plans post-graduation. Both institutions have equally strong macro social work programs, so you will receive an excellent education regardless.

Edited by michigan girl

Hello all. While both Columbia and Michigan are wonderful institutions, I am having a hard time deciding which program is right for me. My heart tugs for Columbia. Not only is the program ideal for its' curriculum flexibility and emphasis on macro social work and research, I've always been smitten by the university's history and culture. My practical side leans towards Michigan for its' #1 ranking, strong program, and ultimately, tuition and living is a LOT cheaper! If you can shed some insight on either of the programs, I'd very much appreciate it. Thanks for your time!

Michigan all the way! I go to state right now for law school and I think they are also ranked pretty high for SW, but UMICH is such a great MSW school, the faculty has so many connections there and they are constantly doing things in the government and doing excellent research it's like a tier 1 research institution and that's very hard to be.

AND if it's cheaper for you...there is no doubt in my mind you will be making a smart choice and not scarificing your education at all. I am actually from New York idk where you are from, but I would choose Michigan for school over NYC, it just makes sense.

However, w/e you choose be glad that you have to great options! Very excited for you.