University of Oregon Architecture

ssj

I was a recent admit to the 3 year architecture program. It says the first 3 quarters begin in Eugene, thereafter you apply to transition to Portland. Portland is where pretty much all of the non foundation courses I want to take are as I'm pursuing urban design with some focus on connecting with urban planning. My questions are:

Does the 3 quarters limit begin with the summer term?

Corresponding questions:When exactly would be the earliest transition point to Portland and how competitive/common is it to do the transition to Portland?

What is it like beginning a stint in Eugene and then moving?

Corresponding questions: Are there many C-list postings for such short term housing or does everyone do graduate housing..and is the graduate housing in Eugene nice...how much does it cost?

Any feedback from those in the know here would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi SSJ,

I did my BA and MA at UO in a different field, but I can answer a couple of your questions.  First, your questions about the transition to Portland are probably best directed to the UO Architecture department directly.  I promise you're not the first person to ask them, and that they'll be happy to clear things up!

Does the 3 quarters limit begin with the summer term?

Corresponding questions:When exactly would be the earliest transition point to Portland and how competitive/common is it to do the transition to Portland?

UO operates on the quarter system, that means 3 trimesters of 10 weeks each (Fall, Winter, Spring) during the academic year.  You'll spend September through June of the first year in Eugene, and then transition to Portland for the remainder of the program.  I have  no idea how competitive that transition is, but the department can inform you.

What is it like beginning a stint in Eugene and then moving?

Eugene is about 2, 2.5 hours south of Portland on the interstate.  The logistics of moving within the valley aren't that difficult. 

Corresponding questions: Are there many C-list postings for such short term housing or does everyone do graduate housing..and is the graduate housing in Eugene nice...how much does it cost?

Graduate housing in Eugene is competitive, and not significantly cheaper than finding your own place.  I think the typical wait-list is about 8-12 months, so probably not worth it for you.  If you look between 3/4 of a mile, an 1 mile from campus, housing gets much cheaper.  Sharing a two bedroom with a roommate is a great option.  Duck's Village and housing developments near Autzen Stadium (the football arena) are "lovingly" called the Sophmore Dorms, and tend to be expensive and noisy.

Best of luck!