Informal visit... what does this e-mail mean?

telianathegreat

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out what's happening with one of my PhD applications.

On February 13th, I asked about the admissions process, wondering whether all interview requests are sent out at the same time. They responded that not everyone was interviewed, and that we would know whether we had been accepted by "the end of next week," which would have been February 22nd. I didn't hear anything.

Today, a month later, I got an e-mail addressed to 22 "Prospective Incoming Students" about an "informal visit" being organized on March 22nd. It ended with "Looking forward to hearing from you and we are excited at the prospect of you joining our program."

Is this an acceptance or a continuation of the application process? Any thoughts? I wish they had been more clear!

Sounds like an acceptance to me, but if it was sent to 22 students then maybe it's only a list of finalists but not necessarily admitted students. 22 would be quite a large cycle - too large for the ling programs I can think of. I think you should write back to thank them for the exciting email, and ask if this means that you're a finalist or that you've been admitted. There is no shame in asking for clarification!

Sounds like an acceptance to me, but if it was sent to 22 students then maybe it's only a list of finalists but not necessarily admitted students. 22 would be quite a large cycle - too large for the ling programs I can think of. I think you should write back to thank them for the exciting email, and ask if this means that you're a finalist or that you've been admitted. There is no shame in asking for clarification!

Thanks -- I felt that it was too large as well. I looked on their website and they have about 25 grad students total, so they're definitely not admitting 22.

I'll definitely write back and ask, then!

Hi!

I just got the same email.....I feel so confused and wrote the the chair right away. I will share with you the updated info as soon as I got the reply.

PS: Good luck with your admission! I just decided to visit Pitts~

Hi!

I just got the same email.....I feel so confused and wrote the the chair right away. I will share with you the updated info as soon as I got the reply.

PS: Good luck with your admission! I just decided to visit Pitts~

Glad I'm not the only one who was confused!

Okay, they got back to me and basically didn't directly answer the question I had asked, which was whether the visit affected my chances of admission:

"This is an informal visit for you to get to know us a little and vice versa.  So, if you can't come we will just have to wait until the Fall to meet you, should you decide to come here.  The visit therefore does not affect admission."

????

I'm reading this as that we're admitted, but I'm worried that I'm biased towards thinking that since I'd like to be.

Listen, you need to just be direct and ask. It again sounds like an email a department would send an admitted student, but you should just make sure. "I'm sorry but I'm still a little bit confused. Have I been officially admitted to your department?"

Listen, you need to just be direct and ask. It again sounds like an email a department would send an admitted student, but you should just make sure. "I'm sorry but I'm still a little bit confused. Have I been officially admitted to your department?"

You're absolutely right. I just asked.