Ford School Michigan 2013

onk

@ mary.from.maryland and rdt425 -- that is horrifying, I'm so sorry to hear it. I feel like if they made this mistake, they should've kept their mouths shut and dealt with a slightly higher yield, if it even came to that (how long can their waitlist even be?). Worst case scenario, they'd have to pay $10,000 or whatever paltry sum lecturers make these days for a guy / gal to teach another section of like introductory stats or whatever. But now they've embarrassed themselves by acting like jerks in public. Anyway, sorry, I'm preaching to the choir, but I just wanted to say that this seems really unprofessional, to echo @ biscuits. 

I received the same email. This is really shocking. I had even already RSVP'd for the visit day and booked a hotel!
Daaaaang. This is terrible. I agree with Molly - Michigan should have just let the acceptances stand, both out of decency and to avoid looking like they can't manage a basic mail merge. Ugh. This does not set a warm and fuzzy precedent for ensuing Michigan escapades...I'm now envisioning mistakes in funding awards and class registration.

How awful. I remember reading a thread from a couple of years ago in which someone had the same thing happen to him with WWS. It's hard to imagine what calculus would lead the admissions committees to believe it would be better to retroactively renege an offer of admission than to absorb a few more students. 

Hi I am an international students. The terriable thing happened on me and several other international students. I am very angry but still sent a mail to their admission.They just said " keep you posted as we review class size". This is really embarrassing for a top program I think.

Hi I am an international students. The terriable thing happened on me and several other international students. I am very angry but still sent a mail to their admission.They just said " keep you posted as we review class size". This is really embarrassing for a top program I think.

Hi I am an international students. The terriable thing happened on me and several other international students. I am very angry but still sent a mail to their admission.They just said " keep you posted as we review class size". This is really embarrassing for a top program I think.

It appears this wasn't an isolated error, then. I'll definitely ask about it if I get a call during tonight's Calling Night...I'm curious to see how they will respond! 

Hey everyone,

I agree that it's completely unacceptable for this to have happened. As a student at Ford, I'm embarrassed and apologetic.  Please know that the students here who are excited about receiving next year's cohort into the community share your frustration and anger about this mistake.  I will let student services know they need to do more to actively address the issue.

Wow. That is ridiculously unprofessional on Michigan's part. Was your name on the original decision letter?

Yep, the letter had my name on it. We're all human and make mistakes, this one just happened to be a bit upsetting/embarrassing for some of us. (I may have been excited and told a few people that I am moving to Michigan). Well, at least I didn't book any hotel rooms......  

Good luck to everyone else out there on the wait list. Enjoy call night for those of you admitted. 

This is all very sad - sorry to hear about this people :(

Hope those admitted who participate in calling night later today will post some impressions here please. I'm travelling at the moment so won't be able to make it - nor to the open day, so will be relying on fellow forum members for some views and impressions.

Thanks a lot.

Did anyone else receive another email from the Ford School?

I apologize for our mistake. As dean, I'm writing to assure you that in the spirit of our namesake president, the Ford School keeps its promises: we honor our acceptance of you into our class of masters' students.

So...I guess I'm admitted again?

Just wanted to pop in and say congratulations (and apologies again) to those who were made right.  I look forward to meeting you at Spring Preview if you can make it, or next Fall in Ann Arbor if you decide to go blue.  And we hope you do!  For anyone with specific questions about logistics or Ann Arbor, feel free to PM me.  

I have another question. If Ford enrolled the students both admission and on the wait-list. Could any one estimate how many people will be in Fall 2015 class?

no clue how many are on waitlist, but i was told by current student that each cohort ~100 students.

My cohort (current first-years) is about 100 students. The second-years is a little larger -- more people took their Ford offers than they predicted, so I think they have about 120 students, but that's considered anomalous. It's not really possible to predict for certain, but I'd hedge somewhere in that range is likely. 

i've heard nothing on funding yet:(  It's very discouraging to hear about the mistake in admissions processing.  I hope that will not affect funding or the funding notification process.  I also was not very impressed with the phone call I received last night:/  The student was very nice but did not do very well at answering the questions I'd prepared.  The student also seemed uncomfortable.  Oh well, hopefully we'll get our emails tomorrow!

On the other hand, the Duke Sanford admissions process has been an absolute dream.  The application was extremely efficient, and I already feel like I'm a welcomed member of their community (facebook page, admitted students webpage, multiple phone calls, email from alumni, admitted student internet chats, etc.)  I understand that Michigan is a larger program, but Michigan should model their admissions process after Duke's. 

i've heard nothing on funding yet:(  It's very discouraging to hear about the mistake in admissions processing.  I hope that will not affect funding or the funding notification process.  I also was not very impressed with the phone call I received last night:/  The student was very nice but did not do very well at answering the questions I'd prepared.  The student also seemed uncomfortable.  Oh well, hopefully we'll get our emails tomorrow! On the other hand, the Duke Sanford admissions process has been an absolute dream.  The application was extremely efficient, and I already feel like I'm a welcomed member of their community (facebook page, admitted students webpage, multiple phone calls, email from alumni, admitted student internet chats, etc.)  I understand that Michigan is a larger program, but Michigan should model their admissions process after Duke's. 
Definitely agree about Duke. Very smooth and low-fuss application process, early decision, and a stellar admissions team. They call! They email! They send you extremely detailed reports on local apartment complexes! In short, the Duke team makes you feel very wanted and welcomed, and they seem to be sustaining their activity rather than petering out. LBJ has also been fairly good regarding contacts and regular updates. I missed my Michigan call last night but followed up with an email exchange. The response wasn't particularly detailed, but they did address most of my questions.

Hey all... im glad there is finally someone talking about michigan's public policy program... I had been searching for discussion that may compare michigan to other universities but so far i havent found any.

I got accepted at harvard, chicago and michigan and am still waiting for the decision from columbia. Since I am a fulbright candidate i cannot make the decision of where I go. Fulbright management will make that choice for me based on cost share and admission.

What are your views on how these programs compare and the probability of cost share? Michigan's tution fee is only marginally less than these other colleges but i have heard michigan is a cheaper place to live so if it offers scholarship the overall cost of going there would be least unless the other colleges offer some generous scholarship.

I am currently working on policy research but want to work towards a career in project management and program evaluation in the development sector.