Ford School Michigan 2013

onk

Hey, congrats to you too! I'm quite happy about this offer - it seems like a great program, though there isn't much discussion about it on this forums. Or maybe I've missed some threads?!?

Hopefully they'll release info on funding in a few days.

Impressed with the quick turnaround on decision from Michigan - feels their deadline wasn't that long ago. January 15th if I recall.

I'm also in at the Ford School! I think the reason for some of the silence is that this particular forum feels very IR-focused, and the Ford School is more known for domestic policy. I am very eager for them to release funding awards - at this point, that will make or break my decision. 

I'm also in at the Ford School! I think the reason for some of the silence is that this particular forum feels very IR-focused, and the Ford School is more known for domestic policy. I am very eager for them to release funding awards - at this point, that will make or break my decision. 

I think you're right re domestic policy focus.

Of the programs you've applied to, do you have a preference, assuming you got funding from all?

I'm trying to get a sense of how Ford compares to some of the other schools with a domestic policy focus. On paper, its rated highly for social policy and policy analysis, and has good access to top law and business schools and other graduate departments - but then so do Duke, Chicago and Berkeley. I'm wondering where Ford falls among these in terms of quality of courses/teaching, career placements, alumni base, student community...

Any current Ford attendees on here?

My ultimate decision is going to be made on different terms than many people, as I have a partner who is applying to graduate programs at the same time. Long distance isn't really part of our plan - especially as we are getting hitched in the fall. I will say that Michigan is very appealing - its curriculum is very much focused on practice and applied knowledge, and it has a reputation for being a good place for people focused on working in the public sector (as opposed to consulting, etc). The alumni network is very strong and probably matched only by LBJ in terms of breadth and reach. (HKS has an elite alumni network, but not necessarily the biggest.) Michigan also has a stronger quantitative focus than some of the other social/domestic policy oriented schools. However, that can be fixed by taking more quantitative electives at the other schools. 

Congratulations guys. I for one, sadly, got rejected from Ford, my  first rejection for grad school applications. Not entirely sure why, maybe I was not the best fit for the program (I want to focus on International issues, specifically economic development of central asian countries), since I think Ford is more US focused than International (do correct me if I am wrong). Or maybe its because I am applying straight out of undergrad (still have 2 months before I get my bachelor's). 

Is it true that I can count on getting in-state tuition for my second year?

It is almost impossible to get in-state residency in Michigan for the purposes of tuition. You need to establish "permanent domicile", and attending school there, having a short-term job like a summer internship, or even owning property do not count.

http://www.ro.umich.edu/resreg.php

Am also really keen to hear from current/formar students on their experiences at Ford.

Speaking of which, I really liked what the admissions letter said about a 'Calling Night' - apparently, current students will be calling or emailing to talk about 'life at Ford' among other things, which should be great...

Hi everyone!  Congrats to the recent admits!

I'm currently at Ford and sitting around with a few other Fordies, so we'll try to speak to a few of the thoughts here.

1)  Most of us have not heard of Michigan awarding out-of-state tuition waivers as part of a financial aid package.  You can't get in-state in your second year if you come out-of-state first year.  However, Michigan is extremely generous with funding (both at admission time and once here) -- I can't imagine there is a program with more money up for grabs out there.  Almost every class at Ford has a GSI (teaching assistant) position, in addition to tons at UMich in general, and they pay a full tuition waiver + health insurance + a cost of living stipend for the semester in service.  We estimate 10-15% of the first year cohort alone has GSI positions this Winter semester.  We also estimate that at least 5-10% of the first year cohort is on a full scholarship.

There are also research assistant positions and administrative staff positions that pay hourly as well as other university jobs.

Other smaller funding considerations may include the fact that the Ford School and the Nonprofit and Public Management Center here at Michigan both help to pay for unpaid summer internships, roughly $2k each for a total of $4k.

2) Domestic policy focus:  yes and no.  Absolutely, Ford is an incredible place to prepare for a domestic career, but also know that Ford has incredible resources for international-focused students.  We have a partnership with the Japanese government where we receive about 15 of their government professionals from various ministries each year.  We also have students from Mexico, Turkey, India, Spain, on and on.  

I can't speak too much to the international stuff as I'm focused on domestic education, but a few specific examples to give: the William Davidson Institute has summer internships around the globe in developing countries that pay a $10k stipend which is pretty awesome for those opportunities.  There's also a trip every year to a country we've never been to as a school: next year's is currently planned as Myanmar.  We also do a fully funded trip to China every year. 

Many, MANY, of our faculty, (including our Dean) are interested in international research and developing countries.

3) Multidisciplinary.  Yes, yes, and yes.  And then yes some more.  There's a very small circle of universities that have top programs, faculty, and students in business, law, education, social work, information, natural resources, health, AND public policy.  At Michigan, almost all of these schools are on the same block of campus, which makes things easier.  I'd estimate 30% of Ford students are dual degree students, over half the profs are dual appointments, and there are lots of cross listed classes and the requirement/option to take classes at other graduate schools.

If you are interested in a multidisciplinary experience, Michigan will meet and exceed your expectations by far.  This is one of the KEY reasons to come to Michigan.

4) Finally, the most important thing about Ford that you can't get a sense of from one-day tours, message boards, and websites:  the community here is second to none.  We're family through and through, and love each other to death.  We hit the bars, do intramural sports, take road trips, and yes, do econ problem sets until the wee hours (like tonight) and have the best time.  If you're looking for a great academic and social experience, you will get it here at Ford: no question.  I cannot overemphasize this point enough.  You won't know until you come, but this (in my opinion) is the top reason to come to Ford, which is saying something considering the embarrassment of resources we have here.

Come to Spring Preview, we'll show you a good time!

Edited by method

Hey Method - thanks a lot for your really helpful comments. There isn't much on these forums on the Ford School which is a pity because it sounds a like a great place!

I had a few further questions which I hope you wouldn't mind helping with please:

1. Does Career Services or another administrative body provide assistance with finding internships, especially the overseas ones? Are these advertised at Ford or do students have to seek them out off their own bat?

2. Are MPP students able to take PhD level courses from other departments and faculties, particularly those on offer from the economics and political science departments and finance at the Ross School?

3. In some other schools popular classes are often over subscribed and have to be opened to a bidding process - does this happen at Ford as well?

4. How much interaction do students have with the faculty? Comments on some other comparator schools and programs suggest that because of a large student body faculty aren't able to devote much time to meeting with students outside of class or supervising independant research projects etc.

5. Do any students, should they choose to, transfer to the Ford PhD program at some point during the MPP? Even if this isn't the case, are they able to audit/attend the PhD level courses at Ford?

6. What proportion of the student body are international students? Are international students able to find work on campus as easily as domestic ones - someone on another thread mentioned that international students weren't able to work and get paid while enrolled in a graduate program - maybe I misunderstood what they meant but maybe you could clarify, thanks.

Apologies for such a long list of questions. Thanks again for taking out the time to return to these forums.

Hey Method - thanks a lot for your really helpful comments. There isn't much on these forums on the Ford School which is a pity because it sounds a like a great place!

I had a few further questions which I hope you wouldn't mind helping with please:

1. Does Career Services or another administrative body provide assistance with finding internships, especially the overseas ones? Are these advertised at Ford or do students have to seek them out off their own bat?

Career Services does provide a lot of assistance.  Can't speak well about overseas specifically as my internship hunt was domestic, but in general, a lot more of your assistance will come from other sources such as your classmates and alumni.  We routinely use each other's knowledge and prior employment contacts, and Michigan alumni are all over the place - I think Michigan is generally credited with having the largest living alumni base in the world.  If you email someone out of the blue for an informational interview off of a Michigan connection, you will almost certainly get a response.  Also, our professors have lots of contacts, and the university has some institutes that have continuing partnerships. 

2. Are MPP students able to take PhD level courses from other departments and faculties, particularly those on offer from the economics and political science departments and finance at the Ross School?

Michigan, again thanks to its multidisciplinary style, has a pretty awesome setup.  Your tuition at Ford allows you take up to 20 credit hours a semester with open enrollment to classes across the university.  While most classes do not have enrollment restrictions, some such as PhD courses probably will.  At that point you would need to contact the individual professor teaching the course and get permission to join.  Your results will probably vary a bit as its a case by case process, but if you can make a case that you are prepared and in need of the course, my guess is that you will get to take it assuming there is space.

3. In some other schools popular classes are often over subscribed and have to be opened to a bidding process - does this happen at Ford as well?

Yes, there can be long waitlists for the most popular classes.  2nd and 3rd year students have priority enrollment dates which have randomized starting times - there is no bidding process.  I'll admit it's not the most elegant setup, but there are ways to get around the issue.  You have an opportunity to select a faculty mentor when you arrive on campus, and if you absolutely want to take a class at Ford, you should select that professor as your mentor.  They have the power to green light you into their sections no matter your waitlist position.  I can't imagine there's a single class that a 2nd or 3rd year student has not gotten into.  The waitlist issues are usually contained to first years, and even then it's some what of a marginalized issue because most of us take a common core together anyway.

4. How much interaction do students have with the faculty? Comments on some other comparator schools and programs suggest that because of a large student body faculty aren't able to devote much time to meeting with students outside of class or supervising independant research projects etc.

Faculty access here is fantastic.  Ford has a lot of research centers, so faculty often have research projects that require student assistance.  Super easy office hours access, in addition to the faculty mentor program.  The school is planning a lunch with the faculty program, and they often participate in some sillier things with the students such as our cornhole league and poker nights.  We just had dinner at the Dean's house last night too and there were several prominent faculty who dropped in, maybe moreso for the barbeque though haha.  For those seriously considering research careers, this is a great place to be.  One specific example is that we have a student here who spent a summer with a professor doing research abroad, GSIs for his course, and really built a strong relationship there.  The student was just accepted to Phd Econ at Chicago and I'm sure those experiences and the rec letter were some key pieces involved.

5. Do any students, should they choose to, transfer to the Ford PhD program at some point during the MPP? Even if this isn't the case, are they able to audit/attend the PhD level courses at Ford?

I've never heard of a transfer in this capacity, and would guess it's not even remotely possible to transfer into the PhD program as a MPP student.  Audit/attend would again depend on the professor on a case by case basis, but if you can make a compelling case you'll probably be allowed.

6. What proportion of the student body are international students? Are international students able to find work on campus as easily as domestic ones - someone on another thread mentioned that international students weren't able to work and get paid while enrolled in a graduate program - maybe I misunderstood what they meant but maybe you could clarify, thanks.

Probably 30% international.  I'd need to ask around about the work thing and get back to you.

Apologies for such a long list of questions. Thanks again for taking out the time to return to these forums.

Happy to help, thanks for considering Ford!

Appreciate the answers Method - thanks!

I'm sure there is a whole group of us here who are really keen on attending Ford and are waiting eagerly for funding decisions next week.

Good luck everyone - next week is going to be a big one!

Same here. I started out not knowing much about it and wondering if it would be a good match when I applied, but based on Methods responses and those of other people I've spoken to, I'm getting quite excited about it. Fingers crossed some generous funding comes our way next week.

Btw, are many people able to attend the open day? I'm an international so won't be able to make it - but hope some of you can, and can report back on impressions.

Hey all, I'm another current Ford student (dual with the School of Public Health, but started at Ford this past fall). Just wanted to enthusiastically second everything Method said. :) 

Oh my, Ford just sent me an email saying they accidentally sent me the acceptance letter by mistake and I am actually on the waitlist. Devastated! I've already let several schools know I won't be attending their program. 

Method- wonderful comments. Thank you very much!

Does anyone know about the waitlist? They told me I am allowed to send materials (letters of recommendation, grades, updates) so I will of course whip something up.

Any advice is helpful. Thanks.

Oh my, Ford just sent me an email saying they accidentally sent me the acceptance letter by mistake and I am actually on the waitlist. Devastated! I've already let several schools know I won't be attending their program.    Method- wonderful comments. Thank you very much!   Does anyone know about the waitlist? They told me I am allowed to send materials (letters of recommendation, grades, updates) so I will of course whip something up.   Any advice is helpful. Thanks.
Wow. That is ridiculously unprofessional on Michigan's part. Was your name on the original decision letter?

Oh my, Ford just sent me an email saying they accidentally sent me the acceptance letter by mistake and I am actually on the waitlist. Devastated!

I received the same email. This is really shocking. I had even already RSVP'd for the visit day and booked a hotel!