Ford School Michigan 2013

onk

Thank you everyone! I hope you all hear back with good news soon! 

Hey everyone - how was calling night? Any useful info/impressions to share with fellow admits?

Cheers!

The most useful information I received was that incoming students can TA their first semester for the undergraduate courses. If you are proactive in reaching out to departments now you may be able to secure tuition + health benefits. You are able to TA as many semesters as you can secure, but most incoming students don't do it because they need time to get acclimated with their programs. There is also a strange acronym that Michigan uses for TA's.. GSI (graduate student instructor). 

My caller and I had similar interests, so I was able to ask her about careers and employment in Washington following the program. She explained that Ford arranges a trip to DC for job and internship networking. In addition, the career office is small  (3 staff members) but familiar with all of the students and develops strong relationships with them. Career staff won't hand hold you but are definitely a strong resources for proactive students. Michigan alumni network is key in the job search.

She estimated rent in Ann Arbor at $600-1000 based on proximity/quality and 20-30% less expensive if you have roommates. Making sure that heat is included is important because of the cold winter. 

And as the Ford site suggests, it is common to join a dual degree program and for MPP-only students to take classes in multiple schools. Program stresses interdisciplinary learning, but the quantitative classes are challenging. Learning from your peers is key... first year students often tackle economics courses through group study.

I hope this is helpful! 

Edited by campussartorialist

Going to leave this link here for you guys. "GSI"  (Graduate Student Instructor) is our way of saying "TA." Application requirements vary across departments, but everything with open applications is here. Fair warning: it's not common for people to receive GSI positions their first term. I want to say only two or three people in our cohort did. However, second-term/second-year it becomes much more common. 

Hope to meet some of you at the visitation weekend! 

http://umjobs.org/graduate_student/

Going to leave this link here for you guys. "GSI"  (Graduate Student Instructor) is our way of saying "TA." Application requirements vary across departments, but everything with open applications is here. Fair warning: it's not common for people to receive GSI positions their first term. I want to say only two or three people in our cohort did. However, second-term/second-year it becomes much more common. 

Hope to meet some of you at the visitation weekend! 

http://umjobs.org/graduate_student/

it seems i can't go for the visiting weekend. I have some concerns about the tuition and fee. How much should I pay for the two-year study without any financial aid to attend Ford School? I know the program's good, but i can not afford it if it's too expensive. Thx. 

it seems i can't go for the visiting weekend. I have some concerns about the tuition and fee. How much should I pay for the two-year study without any financial aid to attend Ford School? I know the program's good, but i can not afford it if it's too expensive. Thx. 
You may want to check out the tuition rates here: http://www.ro.umich.edu/tuition/tuition-fees.php You'll have to scroll down to get to the Public Policy (graduate) section. Don't forget to tack on several thousand more for rent, food, etc. Right now it looks to be approximately $40,000/year plus living expenses. I hope Michigan releases funding information soon - personally, I'm reluctant to book travel arrangements without knowing if the program will be affordable in comparison to other offers.

You may want to check out the tuition rates here: http://www.ro.umich.edu/tuition/tuition-fees.php You'll have to scroll down to get to the Public Policy (graduate) section. Don't forget to tack on several thousand more for rent, food, etc. Right now it looks to be approximately $40,000/year plus living expenses. I hope Michigan releases funding information soon - personally, I'm reluctant to book travel arrangements without knowing if the program will be affordable in comparison to other offers.

Thanks for your great help! i got the offer from University of Virginia, Frank batten school. They gives me some scholarship, which really release my burden. I think the program is new but also very good. People there are very enthusiastic and helpful. em, I should make a choice after the funding information. Good Luck to you!

I've been checking frequently as well.  My girlfriend (also admitted) called today and spoke with someone in the admissions department.  They said that funding decisions should be sent out today.  We'll see...

Just got an email. No money for me, sadly. Ah wells, makes my decision easier, I guess. Good luck to everyone else!

Bummer!

I'm still waiting for my email, but considering the one person to get funding got their notification yesterday, I've pretty much written it off.

No funding for me either. I thought this would make things easier, especially given that I've received a huge chunk of money from Cornell, but for some reason I'm still drawn to Ford. I'm really interested in higher ed. policy, and Michigan clearly has Cornell beat in this area. I just wonder whether it is worth taking on more than twice as much debt to attend there?

Bummer!

I'm still waiting for my email, but considering the one person to get funding got their notification yesterday, I've pretty much written it off.

Yeah, I'm not terribly hopeful - although it doesn't look like they're using an automated system. Then again, they may be desperately scrabbling around in order to factor the additional "waitlist" acceptances into their funding calculus. (As they should.)

Hey folks, just heard back.  Got a little bit of funding, but not enough to make it competitive with other offers.  Hopefully everyone will get theirs soon.  It seems like a really good program, so best of luck!

No funding for me either. I thought this would make things easier, especially given that I've received a huge chunk of money from Cornell, but for some reason I'm still drawn to Ford. I'm really interested in higher ed. policy, and Michigan clearly has Cornell beat in this area. I just wonder whether it is worth taking on more than twice as much debt to attend there?

I too am very interested in higher education policy.  I too did not receive any funding from Michigan!  I will be accepting a funded offer from another school.  My sense is that you would be able to pursue your interests through internships and practium-based experiences at almost any top program. The possibility of 120-130k of debt scares me to death.

Sheesh, still no word! And I'm a bit annoyed, as I too would like to make travel plans (this affects my visits to other schools as well) but just can't until I hear about funding. I find it odd that some have heard good news and some have heard bad news...it doesn't seem like they're doing one or the other first. Hmm.