Ford School Michigan 2013

onk

Sheesh, still no word! And I'm a bit annoyed, as I too would like to make travel plans (this affects my visits to other schools as well) but just can't until I hear about funding. I find it odd that some have heard good news and some have heard bad news...it doesn't seem like they're doing one or the other first. Hmm.

I actually did hear on Friday (small amount of funding that has effectively knocked Ford out of the running), but I would suggest checking your spam filter and any secondary email address you might have listed. That's where my SAIS funding info email ended up going, and I wouldn't have even thought to check if it weren't for people posting in gradcafe!

I actually did hear on Friday (small amount of funding that has effectively knocked Ford out of the running), but I would suggest checking your spam filter and any secondary email address you might have listed. That's where my SAIS funding info email ended up going, and I wouldn't have even thought to check if it weren't for people posting in gradcafe!

I just checked my spam.. nothing. I still haven't heard, and I also find it odd that some have, and some of us haven't. Also a little irked, because I'd have to book a flight, etc. to visit.

Yeah, that's the thing, I've been checking my spam filter religiously and trying to think of any other way they might've tried getting in touch with me...but there's nada. I've even gotten other emails from Ford (about booking a hotel for their visit day, for instance), but nothing on funding. It's starting to feel like they've just forgotten about a few of us.

Thanks for the suggestion, though, lacanadiense! I wish it were hiding in my spam folder. :(

Edited by mintygreen

Also received my funding amount today - and also quite low! That knocks Michigan out of the picture for me. To be honest, I was dreading another frozen winter :). Congrats to everyone who got in! 

I wonder if funding decisions were affected at all by the waitlist mishap.

Possibly, but unless they have some internal goal of offering everyone a minimum amount of funding, I don't think it would seriously affect their funding awards.

Hi everyone,

Congratulation on getting in and I look forward to meeting many of you at Preview!  I'm finishing up my first year here and like many of you was deciding between programs at this time last year.  Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Has anyone received their official acceptance from Rackham? I was accepted by Ford and would like to accept my official offer. I heard there was a delay on Rackham's side. I am little nervous rejecting any offers and making plans to Michigan's spring preview weekend without Rackham's admissions letter. On another note, I am really excited about my acceptance to Michigan. I think its a great program and institution  I hope to see meet some of you at spring preview weekend or in the fall.

I got my email from Rackham, too, but I'm sorry to say that their minimal funding offer has pretty much knocked Ford out of the running for me...too bad! Congrats to those who got good funding, and enjoy Ford!

I got my email from Rackham, too, but I'm sorry to say that their minimal funding offer has pretty much knocked Ford out of the running for me...too bad! Congrats to those who got good funding, and enjoy Ford!
Samesies. I'm waiting until I visit LBJ to make final decisions, but Michigan's lack of significant funding puts the school near the bottom of the list for me. I've heard really good things about the program, though, so you fully funded folks should take the money and frolic into the (frozen) sunset!

Samesies. I'm waiting until I visit LBJ to make final decisions, but Michigan's lack of significant funding puts the school near the bottom of the list for me. I've heard really good things about the program, though, so you fully funded folks should take the money and frolic into the (frozen) sunset!

I second that--I might've picked Ford over some other really great schools, had I gotten more funding (I even happen to like cold winters!). But those great schools are offering me equally great funding, so that's that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I got an admit to the Ford MPP program with $20k overall. Also have an offer from Goldman that I am considering. Berkeley is cheaper than Ford because of the plentiful GSIs available, even with Ford funding. Can current Ford students comment on how easy/difficult it is to get GSIs in the second year, at Ford or at the UoM? I know it is almost impossible in the first year, but if I can get one for the second year, GSPP and Ford come out to around the same cost to me.

Hi guys, I got an admit to the Ford MPP program with $20k overall. Also have an offer from Goldman that I am considering. Berkeley is cheaper than Ford because of the plentiful GSIs available, even with Ford funding. Can current Ford students comment on how easy/difficult it is to get GSIs in the second year, at Ford or at the UoM? I know it is almost impossible in the first year, but if I can get one for the second year, GSPP and Ford come out to around the same cost to me.

There are tons of GSI positions at Michigan, but easy/difficult is a relative term.  It depends on how well you do in a class, your relationship with the professor, your perceived ability to relate with and teach students, and your previous background if doing an undergrad course.  There are probably 15 first-year students who are GSIs in the 2nd semester of their first year.

Thanks method! My major was in Computer Science and Engineering, I've worked in IT for 5 years and I am very comfortable with stats and math. Does undergrad at UoM generate a lot of demand for stats GSIs (it seems to at Berkeley)? I assume that your comments would be applicable if I were looking for a GSI within Ford, at Econ or a related school? Apart from perceived ability to teach and connect of course, which would apply everywhere.

Oh another important question - does the GSI include a full tuition waiver + health insurance or only in-state fees waiver?

A .25 placement which is ~10 hours/week is full tuition + health insurance + living stipend of around 1100/month.  One person who comes to mind has GSId undergrad and over at the econ department after taking classes at Ford, so with your existing background you might be in good shape.