Salary you are EXPECTING to make after your grad degree?

dyavrom

I know we have all looked at the salary averages for careers in public service/govt affairs and private, however I am wondering if you believe you will fall in these numbers.

If you could also say the school you are expecting to attend, and whether you are planing to go the public, private or non-profit route, that would be helpful. This may help some people figure out how much debt they are willing to take on. Thanks.

I expect to make about 95-100K out of my grad school program. I'm not sure this is typical but I'm in a specialized field where my work experience plus an MPA usually earns that much. I expect I'll top out around 225K over the course of my career and probably more if I enter the private sector in a decade.

@Vincehoward : woo, that's a lot of money. May I ask you what your field is?

Salary averages for GW Elliott are very good... In my field they range between $54 000 - $64 000, only six months after graduation.

Cackle. $70,000+ for your first job after your masters is...optimistic, unless there are some truly special circumstances going on (dual degree, returning to an old employer, private sector, highly specialized and comparatively rare skills, or a ton of previous work experience).

For good old government or non-profit work, I'd say the average that the schools publish (~$60,000 or so) is fair, for most people. In some government jobs you can happily trip right up the pay grades in a few years to make considerably more, assuming you perform well. Non-profits tend to stick at the same salary, unless you take on significantly more responsibility or move to a new position within the company.

I think one of the biggest pay-related factors will be whether or not you have previous management experience - that is, supervising minions of some sort. Certainly management duties represent one of the major pay scale bumps in the federal government. Most of us are pursuing this degree with the goal of conducting some form of policy analysis (I assume), but you'll get paid more if you are able to effectively lead a team of analysts.

Edited by biscuits

• 2 weeks later...

@ZacharyObama- I've worked in state government for 3.5 years and make right around $50k (before taxes) without a masters, so I think your estimate is a good one.  Also, a masters does often translate to a higher starting position. I see you got into USC... I've heard good things about its programs, but that it's pretty California government focused.  That was a turn-off for me, since I'm hoping to end up in national/international work, but could be great for you if you're hoping to end up in local gov or Sacramento.  Best of luck!

The federal/state governments pay that much? Even without a masters? God, the US is amazing. If I choose to work in the US after my masters, I'll probably work in a think tank. Do you know how hard it is to get a job there? And how much it pays?

Edited by Miskina

I will rephrase that I work for California State Government where our general cost of living is higher than other states...  I would say in general that being successful in government (and everywhere else) has a lot to do with who you know and knowing how to navigate the bureaucracy.  I was fortunate to have helpful mentors to guide me as I applied to jobs with the State, so I ended up with a good salary and working on policy.  I have quite a few friends who ended up in lower and less interesting positions than they were qualified for, because they simply didn't know how to navigate the exam and interview process :/  So frustrating... Wish I'd got to them sooner to provide a little advice!  I would hope that getting an MPA will be so helpful in this regard, because it will prepare you to better understand the inner workings of the public sector.  

I don't know about think tanks- sorry!

@flyingjellyfish - I'm pretty California/West Coast (+ my beloved State of Hawaii) focused so I think USC is a pretty good match, my field is parks/conservation/land management. I've worked for a city here in SoCal for the last year, but I'm a part-timer and so the pay kinda sucks and I don't get benefits. Before that I had a 10-month AmeriCorps internship with the State of Hawaii. I don't think I would meet the requirements for "II" positions right off the bat as from what I've seen the masters degree generally subs for one year of relevant experience.

I'm optimistic though that I could pretty quickly move up the salary tier to something like 60-80k in like 3-5 years. I'd be elated if I can land a 40-60k before taxes type position coming out the door of USC. I'm not happy about having to take on more debt but my BA isn't doing very much for me right now, well besides getting me into USC. I think I can handle my debt load and live modestly on such a salary.  I take the long-term look - government has great benefits and employment stability - the nonprofit/private sector doesn't really offer that in the long-run.

Are you in CA state gov? Are there lots of USC grads around?

@Miskina - it's better than you could ever dream once you start getting to retirement age: http://blog.sfgate.com/matierandross/2013/03/25/alameda-county-administrator-tops-in-pay/

As to the "think tank" type jobs, I don't really know that much but you can probably expect to make a similar amount a bit more but you don't have the long-term stability that working toward a "defined" pension offers. I'm not sure how being international would effect your immediate employment prospects for government employment.

Are you in CA state gov? Are there lots of USC grads around?

Yes I am and have been very happy with my experience though it really does depend on the agency/department in terms of how interesting and policy-focused the work is.  There's a lot of info about the job application process here: http://jobs.ca.gov/  

In my experience, people in leadership positions, both manager and director levels, have spent their whole careers in state government and/or came to state government with a masters.  It's difficult to move up quickly without education, but it's even possible to come into state government with a high school diploma and slowly work your way up.  Stability is definitely a huge plus and vacation time is decent for the US.  

It's a big decision for me to choose to leave my current position considering how much I enjoy my work and appreciate the benefits.  But, I'm excited to return to school to learn about national and international affairs and move into new work beyond California government. 

There are USC grads around and there is a USC Center in Sacramento for people choosing to stay working up here while in school.  I would say there's a robust and supportive network.  I have gone to a couple of their happy hour events :)

Feel free to PM me if you have more California-focused questions. 

@flyingjellyfish - As to the "think tank" type jobs, I don't really know that much but you can probably expect to make a similar amount a bit more but you don't have the long-term stability that working toward a "defined" pension offers. I'm not sure how being international would effect your immediate employment prospects for government employment.

As a non-US citizen I won't be able to work for the US government, so if I choose to stay I would either work for a think tank or an international organization.

I think I'd live very decently if I earned $50K/year straight out of my M.A. It's true that a think tank job isn't as stable as a government job though.

Edited by Miskina

Most definitely - Thanks for the very useful responses and am glad you enjoyed the USC Happy Hours.

I wish you the best of luck in grad school and in helping California take over the world to turn most everywhere else into a homogenized form of California culture a la Disneyland and Hollywood with a dash of San Francisco hipness. :P

Edited by ZacharyObama

Do you guys live in major cities? 50K is not very much for a single person, let alone if you want to get married and have kids. Perhaps if you have a spouse earning a significantly higher wage then it doesn't really matter but at that point it's probably more cost effective to stay at home with the kids instead of working full time.

Speaking about international public policy, you cannot compare net salaries in France and the US as the first one has a lot more benefits (unemployment, health insurance, maternity, etc) and higher income taxes, therefore a lower salary actually accounts for a lot more due to benefits. Furthermore, average salary of a country is hardly what any master graduate makes (that´s not even the case in Cuba). Yet, I would say at our age (considering the average students is a 26 year old with 2-3 yrs experience and no family) 50K is enough (even if not a high salary).

Speaking about international public policy, you cannot compare net salaries in France and the US as the first one has a lot more benefits (unemployment, health insurance, maternity, etc) and higher income taxes, therefore a lower salary actually accounts for a lot more due to benefits. Furthermore, average salary of a country is hardly what any master graduate makes (that´s not even the case in Cuba). Yet, I would say at our age (considering the average students is a 26 year old with 2-3 yrs experience and no family) 50K is enough (even if not a high salary).

Perhaps this is the new normal. I'd say that as a highly trained professional I'd expect to make more than an average wage in a major city. 50K isn't very much at all if you count high rent (unless you have a roommate but who wants to live with a roommate after the age of 25-26), overall higher cost of living for fuel/public transit and food, and loan payments, etc. I guess if that is really how much some people expect to make then the most rational strategy is to try and minimize debt as much as possible or even avoid graduate school altogether.

Edited by vincehoward

Perhaps this is the new normal. I'd say that as a highly trained professional I'd expect to make more than an average wage in a major city. 50K isn't very much at all if you count high rent (unless you have a roommate but who wants to live with a roommate after the age of 25-26), overall higher cost of living for fuel/public transit and food, and loan payments, etc. I guess if that is really how much some people expect to make then the most rational strategy is to try and minimize debt as much as possible or even avoid graduate school altogether.
Good lord. I currently live in Boston, one of the most expensive housing markets in the country, and currently make a little under $50K. I live in a two-income household, but I'm able to pay my half of the rent on an apartment in a great area, get all the groceries I need, spoil my little foodie heart at nice restaurants, and save a good chunk for retirement. I also can buy stuff like new clothes without crying over pennies. In other words, $50K is a perfectly fine income, assuming you aren't blowing all your cash on entertainment or rent. (Seriously, people, do not spend more than 30% of your income on rent.) I'd obviously like to earn more, but it's silly to scare people into thinking that they will be gnawing on ramen if their starting salary is at that level. Children are more of a concern in terms of budget,, but I'm not planning on popping any out for a few years.