Is breaking the silence worth it only for bad news

rsn90

I had interviews at two schools about a month ago. Now I've heard nothing at all since sending out follow up emails after my interviews. Should I email my POIs OK inquiring about my status? I'm dreading doing this for fear of annoying the people who have a say in whether I get in or having them reply I haven't heard because I'm rejected. Anyone have some insight?

I'm not sure. I'm going into the hard sciences just like you and I haven't dared emailing the POIs. I decided to email the graduate(s) student coordinator about a possible estimated date. She's a postdoc who organized the interview day and was in touch with the grad students afterwards.  It doesn't hurt to ask. I think the worst thing they can do is ignore your email all together, therefore leading to thoughts of non-acceptance....

Yeah I'm trying to stay on the optimistic side of silence - its not a no. But I can't help but feel if it were a yes I'd hear something by now. Maybe I'm a second pick and have to wait for first choices to accept or reject?

Yeah I'm trying to stay on the optimistic side of silence - its not a no. But I can't help but feel if it were a yes I'd hear something by now. Maybe I'm a second pick and have to wait for first choices to accept or reject?

My POI didn't reply to me until I emailed him for the third time. And I learned that I was only his second choice...........

Also.. the hard sciences take longer to admit students. The official deadline of all grad application decisions is supposed to be early-mid April.

Hi, do you have news about U of Rhode Island? The admission advisor in Oceanography doesn't reply to emails. It has been four months since I submitted my application.

I've gotten an acceptance (but no funding is going to be given) for TAMUCC.  I'm still waiting on UT-Austin.  The only applicants who know anything are a few that were in the program as undergrads, working with the same professors for their graduate program.  I'm guessing those students know who has committed funding because one of my 3 professors I listed said he didn't have room in his program due to being already commited to one of his undergrad research assistants.

At this point though, I'm weighing the prestige of the UT reputation vs taking a gap year to bolster my GRE scores (not bad, but I could do better if I had time to study), look around for programs that are doing research in the areas I'm interested in (marine bio is so diverse macro vs micro, organismal vs cell), spend more time visiting schools and going to some conferences, do an unpaid internship, take a few electives that I didn't get to take...taking a year to just breathe.

I have the advantage of still living at home.  Also, having been homeschooled I started college at a younger age and most kids I grew up with won't even graduate until 2014 at the earliest.  I hate to live here another year, was looking forward to getting out on my own.  On the other hand, I'm committing to a field that I will ultimately end up in after my PhD.  So I need to be sure it's the right one vs just the prestige of a school name.

Lastly, I don't think anyone who is completely rejected this year necessarily has to hang their head, especially in the hard sciences.  The funding is just not there this year due to the Federal budget cuts.  I work in a lab with ~8 undergrads and I'm the only one who still has any hope left.  Everyone else has been flat out rejected on every application they put in.  And there are some students in the group who have 4.0 or close, done an REU every summer, are published, have better GRE scores...and they still got all rejections.  And everyone who was able figured out that schools are taking about 1/2 the students they have in past years, and with much less funding.  So maybe it will be better to wait a year anyway.

The funding is just not there this year due to the Federal budget cuts.  I work in a lab with ~8 undergrads and I'm the only one who still has any hope left.  Everyone else has been flat out rejected on every application they put in.  And there are some students in the group who have 4.0 or close, done an REU every summer, are published, have better GRE scores...and they still got all rejections.  

I'm in the humanities, but this bit especially made me uber sad. So much talent not given the chance.

Usually it is best to be patient, but sometimes pushing may give you the answer sooner so you can move forward with your life. I'd recommend going the route of the graduate coordinator, however that person is likely in contact with the department. So keep that in mind as you request information. Perhaps put it in terms of "I'm curious about if there's a timeframe for a decision?", instead of "What is my status right now". Subtly different... but hopefully you'll be seen favorably "as curious" and not impatient "where's my status update?".

From my own experience following up, I did get silence. Only to get a physical rejection letter the next day. The two actions were not tied in my case (the mailed letter pre-dated my inquiry), but yours COULD be. Keep your requests simple and professional

Hi, do you have news about U of Rhode Island? The admission advisor in Oceanography doesn't reply to emails. It has been four months since I submitted my application.

Hello I'm sorry but I barely get notifications on here! 

I recently submitted for Biologically Oceanography but my application was very recent so I am being whimsical about getting in. 

I know my POI did not have funding as of last August to take on anyone new so I decided to apply anyway to see if anyone else in URI wanted me. 

What an emiterus professor told me last summer that URI is highly picky on great GPAs and high GREs. They love great academic scores in that department. I hope this helps in giving some insight. Have you heard of any one being denied admission yet? 

Best of lucK!

Edited by stephchristine0

I've gotten an acceptance (but no funding is going to be given) for TAMUCC.  I'm still waiting on UT-Austin.  The only applicants who know anything are a few that were in the program as undergrads, working with the same professors for their graduate program.  I'm guessing those students know who has committed funding because one of my 3 professors I listed said he didn't have room in his program due to being already commited to one of his undergrad research assistants.

At this point though, I'm weighing the prestige of the UT reputation vs taking a gap year to bolster my GRE scores (not bad, but I could do better if I had time to study), look around for programs that are doing research in the areas I'm interested in (marine bio is so diverse macro vs micro, organismal vs cell), spend more time visiting schools and going to some conferences, do an unpaid internship, take a few electives that I didn't get to take...taking a year to just breathe.

I have the advantage of still living at home.  Also, having been homeschooled I started college at a younger age and most kids I grew up with won't even graduate until 2014 at the earliest.  I hate to live here another year, was looking forward to getting out on my own.  On the other hand, I'm committing to a field that I will ultimately end up in after my PhD.  So I need to be sure it's the right one vs just the prestige of a school name.

Lastly, I don't think anyone who is completely rejected this year necessarily has to hang their head, especially in the hard sciences.  The funding is just not there this year due to the Federal budget cuts.  I work in a lab with ~8 undergrads and I'm the only one who still has any hope left.  Everyone else has been flat out rejected on every application they put in.  And there are some students in the group who have 4.0 or close, done an REU every summer, are published, have better GRE scores...and they still got all rejections.  And everyone who was able figured out that schools are taking about 1/2 the students they have in past years, and with much less funding.  So maybe it will be better to wait a year anyway.

how much higher did the GREs boost up? how much time did you spend on the GREs? I am in a gap year myself. I think if I do them in the summer, I'll be giving myself enough time to do well. 

Hello I'm sorry but I barely get notifications on here! 

I recently submitted for Biologically Oceanography but my application was very recent so I am being whimsical about getting in. 

I know my POI did not have funding as of last August to take on anyone new so I decided to apply anyway to see if anyone else in URI wanted me. 

What an emiterus professor told me last summer that URI is highly picky on great GPAs and high GREs. They love great academic scores in that department. I hope this helps in giving some insight. Have you heard of any one being denied admission yet? 

Best of lucK!

Yeah, the nodification doesn't work! Well, I thought their requirement for GPA is not critical cuz they don't set a limit...

Last winter a professor also told me it depended on funding and he wouldn't know that until probably early spring. I guess they haven't sent rejection letters. However, hope we can find out in a few weeks, not a few months. Good Luck!

Yeah, I had to think about that today too. Maybe the reason why I hadn't heard back yet is just this instance. Heck I even scoured previous emails from the program to reread emails reminders of my program deadline. I found "we will let first admits know the first of the month" so maybe this crucial waiting is for the first admits to wake up and decide. .... So maybe you are a second draft pick, waiting for lazy first rounds, I have sent a very short polite email (no response). Now I think that email was ok saying "hey I'm really still interested". Now I will calmly wait, so there is no annoyance, I expect the worst but I will hope for the best. Just maybe some lazy first round pick will hear back from another "dream" school and choose the other over my pick. :)

I'm presently having this debate. It's been 2 weeks since my last interview (at what I think is my current top choice), which leaves me worrying that I've been waitlisted. What is particularly troubling is that I have an acceptance elsewhere (that I also really like), and April 15th is getting closer. I just want to know so that I can sit down and decide. To email, or not to email, that is the question...