Vanderbilt IGP program

lt88

Hello to all! Long time forum lurker and aspiring PhD student here, I have a few questions for those who have applied to biological science and biomedical programs.

First, a little background on myself:

I am currently preparing my application for Vanderbilt's Interdisciplinary Graduate Program in biomedical and biological sciences. I have a degree in Kinesiology with a minor in Clinical Physiology. I feel that Vandy's IGP program is good fit to me because of the umbrella of areas of focus and options for research. One fallacy of mine is an ever changing interest in subjects. This is best exemplified from my undergraduate studies. 2 years as a music performance major, 1 year as an international business major, and 2.5 years with kinesiology and life sciences. In case you are wondering, yes, I graduated with 192 hours...ew. My undergrad institution had very, very limited opportunities for research and most of my experience is in physical therapy observations and a prosthetic/amputee internship. Another fallacy is GPA. A very unimpressive 3.3 overall (This is due to very average/poor academic performance in my first 3 years in other majors) but major GPA of 3.88. To combat this lack of spectacular academic performance, I am taking more physics and chemistry courses as a transient student to improve some marks and stay sharp.

So I guess these are my questions:

1. How do I get involved in research with very limited experience? This seems like an uphill battle.

2. How to I make myself a more marketable candidate?

3. How much is research and previous publications considered for these programs? Obviously these are a plus..but how much so?

4. Anyone with previous experience applying to this program? What are your experiences?

Sorry for the lengthy post. It has been a slow day at work and I've had plenty of time to think. This is the result :P

Continue taking classes as a transient student and don't get less than A's. Research experience is going to be a big factor. I would contact faculty at your school who are doing research you find interesting and offer to volunteer. It can be hard to get a foot in the door, so keep trying. Once you find a lab, put in as many hours as you can. Learn anything someone is willing to teach you, be proactive and help with whatever you can. Impress your PI. You'll need a letter of recommendation from them.

Make sure get to know your professors (and they get to know you) so you can ask them to write raving letters of recommendation.

Know exactly why you are going to grad school and why this program is a great fit. You'll need to for a kick ass goal statement.

Also, I'd recommend applying broadly, not just to one program. I applied to 13 and got in to 2. You can bounce back from lackluster undergrad stats, just keep in mind that making yourself competitive for Vanderbilt's IGP will probably take longer than a year. If you really want it, it can be done.

I'll share my experience - I've completed 2 years of full time post-bac classes to repair a 2.95 GPA from years ago. Consequently, I have 60 recent credit hours in science and math with a 4.0. I was accepted into and completed a summer research fellowship last summer, I presented posters at a couple conferences, I have a year of lab experience in my current lab and have been given my own research by my PI. I also had 6 months experience in 2 other labs. I was rejected from Vanderbilt's IGP without interview, but was accepted to Emory where I'll be attending in the fall.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

1. How do I get involved in research with very limited experience? This seems like an uphill battle.

This IS an uphill battle.  Half the battle is getting into the lab (and hopefully getting paid for it).  Labs generally take free labor though, so volunteering works also, and that may be a step to getting a job in a lab.

With your low level of research as an undergrad be prepared to spend at least a full year or two in a lab (about full time).  DO NOT think that research experience is just "a plus".  It is the core of what most admissions look for nowadays.

2. How to I make myself a more marketable candidate?

Research, Research, Research.  With your low level of "focus" as an undergrad I would make sure you get in a lab and build up a small CV of techniques, posters/abstracts, and if lucky, papers.  Having one letter of recommendation from a PI who you worked for a while and knows you very well will look better than letters from professors or labs you spent very little time in.

3. How much is research and previous publications considered for these programs? Obviously these are a plus..but how much so?

See #1 above.  Publications do not mean that much, as some people can get an authorship after being in a lab for a few months doing only one little thing.  Getting some abstracts/pubs looks great though on a CV.  What looks better is experience with multiple techniques or projects.

4. Anyone with previous experience applying to this program? What are your experiences?

I interviewed with the IGP this year.  I applied twice.  First time low GRE scores impeded me getting in the large stack for interviews.  This time I had much better GRE scores and a more focused/mature SOP.  Also finally got my first publication authorship.  They have a great program, but I felt after interviewing that they were a "PhD Factory".  Their students get great training, many papers, great placement after grad school, but felt a little impersonal.  Just my opinion though, as many others probably loved it.  I was waitlisted and still haven't heard back this year.  Accepted and going to a program where I connected with students and faculty during interviews (and afterwards).

A little about my background.  3.4 Undergrad GPA, little undergrad research.  4 years post-bac research experience.  4 Posters, 1 paper, 3 other papers in preparation.

A final note: you can get interviews, but will need to show the admissions that you are serious about research.  NOT just serious about getting into grad school, but serious about being in a lab, running experiments, learning proper technique, presenting your work, etc.  That means having a FOCUSED pre-grad research experience.