USC Price Fall 2013

I reckon we could use another thread for discussion of the visiting events, financing, academics, LA and things in general. MPA, MPP, MPL etc - all are welcome.

The other relevant threads this year so far:

I'd say I'm about 2/3rds certain that I'll be attending next Fall pending sorting out how I would finance such an endeavor. I'll be attending the visitation day on April 5th and possibly April 4th too. My understanding is that the Dean's Merit Scholarship event is March 27th, so not too far off.

B)

I was at the Verizon store today here in SoCal shopping for a new phone and met a woman who works in the Civic Engagement Office and had a great conversation about the security changes at USC: http://dailytrojan.com/2012/12/13/university-announces-new-safety-policies-for-spring-semester/, about whether the Price students who worked in her office were happy with Price and not overwhelmed (they were), and then she gave me her business card and offered to help me find work-study employment on campus in her office or others. So yeah, that USC Trojan Network is really something.

Going to USC for MS in Social Work about 4/5s certain, I received a MINOR scholarship for the first year, but other than that my edu will be financed solely with student loans (stafford/grad plus). im mildly terrified of this, but totally stoked to move back to LA.

Congrats ccrede1! Debt can be pretty terrifying. But frankly, I'd rather invest in my education than something like a new car or nice apartment. I think in the long run that it pays off and I see USC as a bet that consistently pays off. I doubt there are all that many USC grads going around with a mountain of debt they can't work off. I'm also optimistic about my ability to obtain some reduction in costs for the second year.

Hello,

USC is still in the running for me. I'm going to the event on the 5th as well. I wanted to go on the fourth because the more time spent the better, but I couldn’t take that much off work. UCI's visiting event happened to be the following Monday (that was lucky...).

I'm excited to learn more about the school! The finances are still a really big hang up for me. I'm still struggling with the classing "funded lower rank" or "unfunded higher rank".

I'm also a bit concerned about the housing situation. On campus is very expensive and off campus means south central (unless you commute, which may be the way to go). I'm from San Francisco, so LA is sort of like a foreign planet. Do any of you natives want to comment on living / finding affordable housing in LA?

Edited by spacezeppelin

Most likely I will be attending USC in the fall as well. Much like the rest of you I have to figure how to make it work financially before I sign on the dotted line, but I think it is manageable.

I will be making the trek from Minnesota for the March 27th event (only one more week!). I am very excited to go and get a feel for the program as well as the school and area. As much as I think I will love the area I have never been there so I still have a number of question marks floating around my head. That said, how can I not love a place with such warm weather (especially on days like today when we are having a blizzard in MN). I too would love to hear more about the housing options around USC. I have already put in an application for some USC managed apartments but they are so expensive.

Hey spacezeppelin,

I'm glad at least someone else here is going to the one on the 5th. We should probably exchange info so I'm not looking around at everyone trying to figure out who you are!

I'd say definitely check out UCI and see what you think. Different folks have different reactions to the Orange County vibe and likewise to the urban nature of USC. I also wouldn't think that housing options around UCI are that much cheaper and from what I here parking at UCI is horrible and your only mass transit option are buses. I'm feeling pretty comfortable with taking on debt to go to USC because of the strength of the alumni network. Literally since I was a small child, I've seen how much pride USC takes in being USC alumni, but then again, I grew up Pasadena and so I was pretty much annually exposed to the USC/UCLA feud. My career plans for the next 5-10 years are in SoCal and then eventually probably making my way either back to Hawaii or into other parts of the Western US (preferably coastal).

I live with family in the South Bay and we're about a 45 minute drive or a 1 hour train trip to USC (I'm 1 mile from a station with free unlimited parking). My plan is to regularly commute on the trains to USC (I have to plan on leaving about 2 hours before I anticipate getting to USC since Metro isn't always reliable). Growing up here, I'm very comfortable with the begging/hustling/misbehavior you'll see on public transit in LA but I could really see how it could be jarring to some. Living at home brings down my living expenses dramatically and makes the tuition more palatable.

As to the general housing situation, while yes USC is in what's known by many as "South Central" (although South Los Angeles is in vogue now), the area immediately around it is patrolled by USC security and is nicer than many other areas. If you're thinking about the immediate area, you can see what USC considers the security responsibility here: http://sait.usc.edu/ois/housing/off-campus.aspx - However, given that, unless I was a PhD student spending 80 hours a week on campus I probably wouldn't go for the immediate area. The USC Campus and Price in particular is about a 5 minute walk from the Expo Line Station and so I would totally just go for the mass transit.

If you have a car just look for a place with a parking spot and use it for getting to internships, to the train station etc: http://www.metro.net/riding/maps/ - Given that Culver City is a really good option and straight shot on the Expo Line, parts of Downtown LA are starting to be spruced up and aren't bad if you're close to the transit stations like Little Tokyo, Chinatown, some of the core, and you could consider outlying areas (Hollywood, Silver Lake, Venice, West LA but that can get expensive) if you're willing to spend time commuting. I think commuting might frankly be better than living in the bubble in terms of access to things like good grocery stores too. The area around USC doesn't offer a lot of shopping options IMHO - but I'm addicted to Trader Joes.

LA is a foreign planet to the Bay Area (well maybe not parts of Oakland), but it's not insurmountable and things are getting better every year. One thing I might finally say is that LA like all big cities has crime, that the city has made substantial progress from 1992 and that while things aren't perfect yet that law enforcement is trying to do a good job and that if you use your street smarts you shouldn't have too much of a problem. Also, traffic still sucks, I avoid it as much as possible. Campus is bikeable if you're in the immediate area, but more than a mile, only if you have a death wish. The last time I was at USC back in October I was astounded by the amount of bikes on campus, but I figure they probably didn't have cars with them at campus (no parking) and/or were in the immediate area. Finally and last but not least, we still have smog on some days so if air quality is an issue take that into account.

Oh and hitomimay had this rec:

Edited by ZacharyObama

yeah if I go to USC i know ill commute...ideally via metrorail.  id prefer that than to live around the campus.  

anyone know how USC is regarding within the International Policy and Dev field?  Im deciding between USC and Hopkins, but USC will be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. 

Well I think you have to start with the fact that Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies is entirely geared toward topics like international development, whereas Price alone is geared toward policy making in general but much more so in the domestic US context. Given that there are opportunities to pursue international development at USC.

There's a joint MA-IR/MPA option: http://dornsife.usc.edu/sir/joint-professional-degree-programs/

And Price does do some international things like their trips to China and Brazil. But to some extent you're comparing papayas and pineapples, they may both be tropical fruit, but you eat them in very different ways. So I'd say that if you want one of the top international development schools SAIS is probably a better choice than USC. Although you definitely should talk more to admissions about how you can specialize your degree toward international development. I think you have to look at whether the probably better opportunities of SAIS offset the staggering debt (not that USC wouldn't put you in debt likely too).

Good luck with making that decision. :ph34r:

From what I can tell the online program is geared toward mid-professionals 10-15 years of relevant work experience (or at least that's what the website says) whereas the on-campus program is geared toward those with 2-5 years. I'll have one-year of full-time work experience and 1 year of part-time experience so I'm classified as "pre-service" and have to meet the internship requirement.

I just confirmed online that I'll be attending this Fall. I'm in the MPA program, but I got a full tuition scholarship so I'm also going to apply to the Urban Planning program because they will probably cover both if I get in. I live in Seattle and have never been to LA besides being through it, but I'm excited about the pace of redevelopment and transit expansion in LA, and just for a change of scenery. I really have no idea where I want to live yet, but I prefer to be within 20 minutes of my work/school, so maybe west toward Culver City. I've also been looking at actual homes for sale downtown--is that area totally a mess, or are there decent places to live within a few miles of USC? I've also got to figure out how I'm going to pay for living expenses, but with free tuition I'd be fine just taking out loans if I couldn't find any paid work. It's just not ideal.

I wouldn't think that if you apply to the program you would be responsible for any additional credits beyond the 40 or 41 your award covers (unless they give another award). I'm not quite sure it would work like that, but you definitely want to check with the MPL program and admissions. What they told me when I inquired if more money would be available as people turned it down was that the Dean's Merit Scholarship is a one-round entrance award (begging for more money most likely won't work). But I'm not sure how that would apply to your situation.

DTLA is a mess! If you're interested in downtown they have done some nice renovation of buildings into lofts and apartments so that might be your best bet if you want to buy. Culver City is probably a pretty pricey market for buying. I would think most of the immediate area to USC are rentals because people buy them up to rent to USC students at a tidy profit. Good Luck with the real estate market!

Edited by ZacharyObama

Will you be attending the Dean's Merit Scholarship event on the 28th of March? I am getting closer and closer to accepting my admissions offer there I am just waiting to get a final picture on what other financial assistance is available. I have a 1/2 tuition scholarship but that leaves a large portion of my educational and living expenses unaccounted for.

I wouldn't think that if you apply to the program you would be responsible for any additional credits beyond the 40 or 41 your award covers (unless they give another award). I'm not quite sure it would work like that, but you definitely want to check with the MPL program and admissions. What they told me when I inquired if more money would be available as people turned it down was that the Dean's Merit Scholarship is a one-round entrance award (begging for more money most likely won't work). But I'm not sure how that would apply to your situation.

DTLA is a mess! If you're interested in downtown they have done some nice renovation of buildings into lofts and apartments so that might be your best bet if you want to buy. Culver City is probably a pretty pricey market for buying. I would think most of the immediate area to USC are rentals because people buy them up to rent to USC students at a tidy profit. Good Luck with the real estate market!

They didn't promise me anything, but they seemed confident that I would be able to get both covered. The general education of the MPA is more important to me overall, the MPL is just an excellent complement from my perspective and would be my second choice if I wasn't also interested in management and policy as well. If I can't get it covered I won't be investing the money--I'd rather spend that money on additional electives that specifically interest me if I were to pay for any credits beyond the first 40.

I'm almost definitely not buying anything, but I've been entertaining the thought just because nothing has stood out for rentals. I saw some nice places for around $150k downtown, renovated and all that, I'm just concerned that the neighborhoods might be absolute trash and borderline dangerous. Not really the type of thing I'd want to commit to until I got better acquainted with the city.

Will you be attending the Dean's Merit Scholarship event on the 28th of March? I am getting closer and closer to accepting my admissions offer there I am just waiting to get a final picture on what other financial assistance is available. I have a 1/2 tuition scholarship but that leaves a large portion of my educational and living expenses unaccounted for.

I'll be there, yeah. I'm checking out some stuff on the 27th as well. From the financial perspective, I'd say that there's always loans to cover the difference until you find a way to earn some money. That's basically what I'm counting on, although I'm already getting ready to start contacting faculty and the career services dept about finding a job in the area. Even if it doesn't pay very much, as long as it gives me some relevant experience I'll be happy. I always went in to this planning to take on some additional debt and wasn't at all confident in receiving funding, so the remainder that I'm left with is perfectly fine by me.

I'll be there the day before as well. And yes I am not overly concerned to take on loans but I want to do my do diligence and make sure I am not missing any potential sources. Honestly I am also waiting for USC to give me financial aid award because hopefully I will be eligible for some federal grants. We shall see.  

That's interesting. I think maybe I'll try to beg again after I officially accept the offer and am going to be chasing whatever scholarships for the second year I can find. I'm looking at trying to get the Sustainable Cities Certificate done if possible which is kinda more planning oriented: http://priceschool.usc.edu/programs/certificate/ - I'm also considering taking longer just to avoid having to take out PLUS Loans - if I can take an extra semester or two and get through all the way on Stafford Loans I would be a happy camper. In short, I need to talk to financial aid :wacko:

As to downtown, my perspective as someone who has watched some of the development over the last 15 years is that it's going in a good direction, but I wouldn't characterize it as a community really - rather it's a mishmash. I think on the whole though that downtown is going places - a number of major capital developments have occurred and the transportation network has been improved, but I wouldn't look for great advances for at least another 5-7 years when a number of projects are due to be completed that will result in further gentrification and more of a neighborhood feel.

This is one really cool thing they're going to do: http://www.streetcar.la/ - they're projecting that to open in 2015 but I really doubt it will be finished on schedule. There are a whole variety of new real estate projects happening but I don't think Skid Row is going to stop being a dominant feature overnight. I would say that the best sides of the downtown area are the southeast area (toward USC), the central area (Bunker Hill) and the northeast area (Chinatown, Little Tokyo). To the west it's pretty slummy and to the east and southeast it's very industrial/slummy.

Question for everyone:

How did you pick USC over the other schools you were admitted to? If it was the only school you applied to, what made you decide to go that route? I assume the decision is based on funding for a lot of people, but were there any other reasons?

Also, in your opinion, do you think its worth paying more for USC over a school like Cal Poly or UC Irvine? Both their programs are super new, but they come from reputable universities and are a lot less expensive (especially with the funding, but even before that). Thoughts?

p.s: Sorry, I realize this is essentially just a "WHICH SHOULD I PICK?!?" post in disguise. Its totally cool if you don’t know the other programs, the initial questions are my priority.

Question for everyone:

How did you pick USC over the other schools you were admitted to? If it was the only school you applied to, what made you decide to go that route? I assume the decision is based on funding for a lot of people, but were there any other reasons?

Also, in your opinion, do you think its worth paying more for USC over a school like Cal Poly or UC Irvine? Both their programs are super new, but they come from reputable universities and are a lot less expensive (especially with the funding, but even before that). Thoughts?

p.s: Sorry, I realize this is essentially just a "WHICH SHOULD I PICK?!?" post in disguise. Its totally cool if you don’t know the other programs, the initial questions are my priority.

For me the decision was definitely primarily financial. However, that was only because I had cut down the list of schools based on other requirements. I'd have been happy at any of the places I was accepted to, so it really came down to money once accepted.

The first cut for me was made by geography--I'm interested in urban policy and public transportation and land use in particular, so somewhere i wanted to live and that had these things going on was important to me. I then looked at schools that had faculty and classes that seemed to be doing research and teaching the things that interested me (many schools did not really seem to). 

As far as choosing other, newer schools, that's a tough choice. I suppose it depends what you want to do for one, but I genuinely feel that the alumni network and school connections are going to make a huge difference for many people, and newer schools haven't had the time to build those networks out yet. But graduating with tens of thousands more debt is something you obviously need to weigh against that consideration.

@spacezeppelin

Breaking it down:

1. My decision is not immediately financial, I could go to a dramatically lesser established program for much cheaper (CSULB), but I'm not sure I would get as much out of it. I think if just getting through academically was my goal then it would be fine, but my goal is a decent-paying career in short order i.e. coming out of school with the ability to pay loans and make ends meat. My goal coming out is to land a full-time unionized position in local or state government. I think USC really wants me to succeed to make them look good, my undergrad didn't care so much which is why I find myself underemployed right now. I actually happen to be acquainted with a current international public administration lecturer at CSULB and former lecturer at USC Price (back when it was still SPPD) and USC grad and he encouraged me to go to USC and didn't try to sell me at all on CSULB.

2. I think that in terms of making a bet on taking out an additional significant amount of loans/costs incurred that my bet is better made on USC because of the strength of the program and of the alumni network. USC has a ridiculously strong alumni network here in SoCal. I'm not sure how well that extends to the Bay Area but I wouldn't imagine there aren't some out the multiplicity of USC graduates. There's a real mythos and cult of USC here in the Southland that might be a little over-exaggerated, but it's also true in a very real sense.

3. I think the USC program meets my academic expectations very well. I think it's extremely strong in it's core, but in my particular interest of environmental management it's not particularly strong. That said, from what I can tell I think USC is trying to make up this deficiency because it's pretty much the only sub-field they're not top-10 ranked in. I like that USC Price see's itself as wanting to be top dog - I think for the cost of attendance that the school is wanting to go all out with this program is a plus - I also think it's an advantage to that USC has so many other strong departments and programs so that if I take a couple courses outside of Price that it will be very strong overall. I went to a very rigorous undergraduate institution and I'm not sure that I'm going to be overwhelmingly academically challenged with the quant stuff like you see suggested with some of the other programs discussed on this board, but at this point, that's not really what I want; I want to learn by doing. USC Price seems to be very practicality oriented - they're training us to be public servants, not hedge-fund traders.

4. I might be better served going for a Master of Environmental Management degree (UCSB Bren for example, their program looks awesome), but right now I don't have the academic science background for that and considering that my undergrad GPA is less than 3.0 I might not even make the cut-off for most programs; USC was willing to give me a fair look in that regard and was very clear with that right up front when asked.

I think no matter what you're going to be taking a risk in picking a program and you should try to calculate that risk considering the initial investment versus the potential long-term pay-off. What do you want to do with this degree? Public-sector, non-profit or private industry? Is cheaper going to be better for what you want to do? I'm thinking that you'll probably visit and then it will click. ;)

Hope that wasn't too long of a response and NO - I will not pick for you! :P