PHD or MS, hard to decide

v7jxcrystal

Hi, I am about to get the offer of admission from cornell (MS/PHD) and CMU (MS) for structure engineering. Both are no fundings by now, but Cornell would consider funding decision recently. And it's hard to decide.

I had never thought about continue for PHD, but some of the friends persvade me to catch the opportunity in Cornell since this is more attractive. I heard a statement that PHD is the preparation only for staying in college as a teacher and companies might not want to hire PHD especially in engineering. I don't know whether this is right or not, could you give me some information? For MS/PHD, the school says student would quit only for MS. In that case, which one is better? Thank you very much.

Edited by v7jxcrystal

Most people with Ph.D.'s get jobs in industry, not faculty positions. I'm not sure about the market for structural engineering, but in electrical, it's extremely easy to get a job at graduation. Unemployment rates are the lowest among Ph.D.'s.

It really comes down to what you want for a career.

Most people with Ph.D.'s get jobs in industry, not faculty positions. I'm not sure about the market for structural engineering, but in electrical, it's extremely easy to get a job at graduation. Unemployment rates are the lowest among Ph.D.'s.

It really comes down to what you want for a career.

Hi, thank you very much. In that case, I think I need further consideration.

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use