Pros & Cons

Now that the letters and financial aid awards are rolling in, its time to sign the letter of intent, but for which school?  :huh: I'm interested in hearing what pros and cons are factoring into your big decision.

I'm still waiting to hear back from one school, but I've already begun making my lists. Here's what I have so far:

UC Berkeley SSW

Pro's: The university has a great reputation overall; Several scholarship opportunities are available; Students in CMH can choose or at least guide the selection of their field placements; Small cohort; High employment rates of graduates

Con's: Although it's a public school it still costs about the same as Smith; the coursework has a generalist, not clinical, focus (clinical is even discouraged by some faculty)

Smith SSW

Pro's: Specializes in clinical social work (which is perfect because I eventually want to open a practice); Anti-racism commitment is weaved into each class and there are advanced courses on oppression; A huge selection of electives; Classes are in the summer so I won't have to juggle classes and the field placement; Full-time field placements, offering more hours of social work experience than any other school; Graduates are known for having a great clinical foundation, with substantial employment opportunities

Con's: I could get placed outside of the Bay Area for my 2nd year field placement; Traveling to/from Northampton and storing my belongings will be onerous, No scholarship because I don't have need

What are you considering in your decision?

Now that the letters and financial aid awards are rolling in, its time to sign the letter of intent, but for which school?  :huh: I'm interested in hearing what pros and cons are factoring into your big decision.   I'm still waiting to hear back from one school, but I've already begun making my lists. Here's what I have so far:   UC Berkeley SSW Pro's: The university has a great reputation overall; Several scholarship opportunities are available; Students in CMH can choose or at least guide the selection of their field placements; Small cohort; High employment rates of graduates Con's: Although it's a public school it still costs about the same as Smith; the coursework has a generalist, not clinical, focus (clinical is even discouraged by some faculty)   Smith SSW Pro's: Specializes in clinical social work (which is perfect because I eventually want to open a practice); Anti-racism commitment is weaved into each class and there are advanced courses on oppression; A huge selection of electives; Classes are in the summer so I won't have to juggle classes and the field placement; Full-time field placements, offering more hours of social work experience than any other school; Graduates are known for having a great clinical foundation, with substantial employment opportunities Con's: I could get placed outside of the Bay Area for my 2nd year field placement; Traveling to/from Northampton and storing my belongings will be onerous, No scholarship because I don't have need   What are you considering in your decision?
Hi purplescarves! Looks like you and I might be classmates... I am torn between Smith and a Title IV-E program (either SFSU or Berkeley if I get in). About Smith: from what you've heard, does it sound like people do sometimes have to switch locations for the 2nd field placement even if they really don't want to? I guess I was hoping that wouldn't be an issue, but it's definitely something that I'd like to know about... I'm in the Bay Area too and hoping to stay here long-term. On the other hand, it's exciting to think about the possibilities with Smith. Title IV-E comes with a serious commitment to working in a California agency post-graduation, and it would be nice to have the freedom to move in the next 1-5 years if I end up wanting or needing to. I really don't know how I'll choose, but I need to this week!

Hi everyone! I'm having a similar dilemma...I have been accepted to several Advanced Standing MSW programs, but right now I'm torn between two: Fordham and NYU.  I like the combined clinical/macro track at Fordham; however as a lesbian woman, I have reservations about attending a traditionally Jesuit school. Anyone have any thoughts (preferably based on your own experience)?

Glad to hear others are having similar dilemmas. Dida, from what I hear most people get placed in the location of their preference for the second year, but I guess there is always that small option that you would be placed somewhere else. Oh the possibilities at Smith! Just browsing through the classes: Neurobiology Clinical Social Work, Severely & Persistently Mentally Ill, Advanced Treatment with LGBTQ, Race & Ethnicity in Psychodynamic Clinical Practice, Collective Trauma...and it goes on. There isn't a class that Berkeley has that Smith doesn't have, but on the flip side there are several classes that Smith offers but Berkeley does not.

Regina I went to a Jesuit school for undergrad. I wrote about it in another post. We fought really hard to change the non-discrimination clause, but no dice. Despite that, I found a group of peers and faculty members as well as coursework that were supportive. I've been reaching out to schools to talk to current students and that has helped identify which campuses are inclusive and which are not. That has definitely factored into my decision.

In my decision, I'm thinking about funding offered, opportunities available, the location, and career outcomes. Based on this, I think WashU is currently my top choice.

Glad to hear others are having similar dilemmas. Dida, from what I hear most people get placed in the location of their preference for the second year, but I guess there is always that small option that you would be placed somewhere else. Oh the possibilities at Smith! Just browsing through the classes: Neurobiology Clinical Social Work, Severely & Persistently Mentally Ill, Advanced Treatment with LGBTQ, Race & Ethnicity in Psychodynamic Clinical Practice, Collective Trauma...and it goes on. There isn't a class that Berkeley has that Smith doesn't have, but on the flip side there are several classes that Smith offers but Berkeley does not.

Purplescarves, have you made your decision? I heard from Smith much earlier than I was expecting to, so I went ahead and submitted the deposit before hearing from Berkeley. I got into Berkeley this week and I'm so grateful to have such wonderful options but so nervous to make a final decision! On top of feeling really torn, I feel guilty for holding onto both acceptances and worried that Smith won't be happy if I withdraw my decision. (There must be a waitlist, right?)

I plan to make a final decision this weekend. Good luck to you if you're still deciding!

Congratulations on getting in to Berkeley!! That's awesome. Last weekend must have been a great weekend.

I wouldn't worry too much about Smith. They definitely have a waitlist, I remember reading last year about some people who got off of the waitlist and were super grateful.

I just found out that I received a fellowship from Berkeley. I'm so excited! It's a complete game changer because I figured if I had to pay the same price, I might as well go to Smith. That's no longer the case, so I'm leaning towards Berkeley. I definitely feel incredibly grateful for all of these opportunities. If you choose Berkeley, most likely I'll see you there!

Congrats on the fellowship! That's so exciting. I'm definitely leaning toward Berkeley as well. I've worked in child welfare and want to continue, so I'm really excited about the support the Title IV-E program provides. Since I'm not sure I'm as interested in strictly clinical work, Smith might not be the best fit for me. Also I've worked in social services for a few years, so I'm not as excited about having 8-month field placements and cramming all the academics into summer terms. I'd rather have a balance between fieldwork and academic work. It also seems like it would be hard to bond with everyone over the summer and then scatter across the country for the year. I've moved around a lot over the past few years and I'd be excited to stick with one community for a while!