FSU CSD Bridge

I'm a Deaf Studies major at UNF and I applied this fall to 5 different SLP grad programs, the ones that will accept with a non-CSD background.  If I don't get my first choice, I'm considering trying the online FSU Bridge program for non-CSD undergrads and reapplying next year.  Right now I've been accepted to an out-of-state school with provisions, assuming that I complete prereq coursework with a 3.25 GPA (not bad), but I can't afford to go without funding!

My questions is...

1)  Has anyone here completed it?

2)  Do you think that completing those courses would give me a better chance at an SLP program?

3)  They say that there's no gov't loans available- is that true?  I rely on Stafford loans to get me by!

I'd appreciate any insight you guys could give me.  Thanks!!

Edited by ritzquackers00

If it is a non-degree program, you aren't eligible for the federal loans, some people go for a second bacc just for that reason, so they can get stafford loans. I had to get loans for my pre-req courses since I chose to go the non-degree route. I got student loans with sallie Mae. The interest rate isn't the best, closer to 9%, but at least I have deferred repayment until the date I set when I applied for the loans. A personal loan on a credit card might have better rates. Most traditions banks don't lend for student loans unless it is a degree-seeking program.

I'm a Deaf Studies major at UNF and I applied this fall to 5 different SLP grad programs, the ones that will accept with a non-CSD background.  If I don't get my first choice, I'm considering trying the online FSU Bridge program for non-CSD undergrads and reapplying next year.  Right now I've been accepted to an out-of-state school with provisions, assuming that I complete prereq coursework with a 3.25 GPA (not bad), but I can't afford to go without funding!

My questions is...

1)  Has anyone here completed it?

2)  Do you think that completing those courses would give me a better chance at an SLP program?

3)  They say that there's no gov't loans available- is that true?  I rely on Stafford loans to get me by!

I'd appreciate any insight you guys could give me.  Thanks!!

USF has an online 2nd bachelors in CSD that is only 3 semesters full-time, I am in my last semester of that program and it is a great option. I had a 2.8 in my first undergrad degree, and I have a 4.0 in the USF program and so far I've been accepted to 3 grad programs. Sometimes just having the prereqs isn't enough for some programs :/  Good luck!

• 4 years later...

This is very old and it’s a long shot—but I am actually looking to start the USF second bachelors program next summer! Can I ask if you used loans to pay for the cost of the program? I am admitted to USF now for the summer but it shows I am not eligible for financial aid due to satisfactory academic progress, since I already have a bachelors. So now I’m worried about trying to pay for classes and if I will be able to even try to do the program. 

Hi Lala24, I’m also planning to begin the USF second bachelors program this upcoming summer. I went there for my undergrad as well and can’t be more excited to get started! I will be a self pay student being that I’m not eligible for loans at the undergrad level either. Most likely I will go part time (2 courses) since I have to pay even though I would much rather be done sooner than later. 

But regarding financial aid and loans, I suggest contacting the financial aid office just to be certain on what you may qualify for. You can also call the cashiers office to get an idea of the cost for the specific courses you’re planning to take so that if you end up being self pay you can budget and have an idea of what your cost will be for that semester. I’ll be doing that once an advisor tell me what classes to take for summer.  It’s nice to see another student planning to attend the same program! I hope I was helpful. Good luck and I would love to keep in touch!