MPP@UMD-CP Strengths/Weaknesses

dang

I would like to hear what people have to say about MPP@UMD, especially on internship opportunity and job placement.

Also, any comment on the university overall and the city of College Park would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

I am interested in knowing this as well, as this is the first (possibly only) DC school I've been admitted to. Just got the letter today! No funding :/.

Dang, are you planning on going to the Open House on the 26th?

hi dngo,

I would very much like to go. But I'm an int'l student and not able to make it. Are you going there? Cuz if you are, can you post something here and tell us what you think of it?

I think I'm most likely to accept the offer. So hopefully I'll see you in the fall.

Dang,

I'm planning on going to the Open House and will let you know how it goes. Maybe I can convince them to give me money!

I am also curious about this program. I'm hoping to focus on development policy.

They awarded me half a fellowship, which shot them to the top of my list - it covers half of tuition, plus gives me in-state tuition rates for the remaining tuition which is nearly covered by a stipend.

I wanted to go to the open house, but I work two jobs and its not really going to be possible.

Hi ertanner,

here is something I found on this site:

the original post is here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13202&p=43861#p44831

So UMaryland...

Great campus, absolutely beautiful, although huge. Area around campus... not so great. I took the metro and then shuttle into campus, and was not happy with the surrounding areas... didn't seem places I'd want to walk around late at night.

Building was a 5-10min walk from shuttle stop. Seemed brand new, and is...was built within the last 5 years I believe. Unlike schools like the Ford School though, the building was not dedicated to the policy school, and they only took up a small area. Overall super nice though. The "Community Lounge" also reminded me of my elementary school teachers lounge-couches and a table, but more home-feeling that professional feeling.

Overall I left unimpressed though after the visit. The school does offer some great interdisciplinary options, eg taking electives in other departments, but any other large university also offers that. Admitted students seemed mostly young, unprofessional (some showed up looking right out of bed in their jeans and hoodies and didn't pay much attention) and at least half to 2/3rds were from Maryland (so it seemed to have a smaller nation-wide draw). Most of them were right out of undergrad, and it showed with their fearful "whats the final project, I have to analyze something on my own?!?!" type questions...

Career center's stats on salary were about $10,000/yr lower than Georgetowns in all sectors. Granted-GT likely has less straight out of undergrad which likely ups salary... also their stat of "75-80% employed on graduation" mirrors other close by programs. Career center seemed well run though, with what appeared to be a genuinely interested and good man heading it (he was dedicated just to the policy school as well which is good). They also seem to do well with presidential fellows.

Their current students... just like when I visited the Ford school they were enthused, bored, and overall "yea I came here because its good but thats it". One was very enthusiastic, which was great, but that was it. When I visited the class though there was alot of class participation which I liked... but it was a substitute lecture which worried me.

As I said, I left overall completely unimpressed, and not excited about the program. It seems very solid, a good program for sure...but not a /great/ program.

I'll be at Georgetown tomorrow, I'm hoping I leave with a more impressed feeling... when I flew in from Detroit I flew over their campus and it was amazing.

-Erin

Well this was erin's personal idea. And I hope UMD alumni and more perspective students who have attended the open house can share more info and comments here.

Dang - while Erin is entitled her own opinion, always remember to take that stuff with a grain of salt! Don't let it turn you off until you have seen it yourself. It's like, have you ever seen reviews of your favorite restaurant or bar and see people that complain about this or that and you're like "What!" ...I think this is could be similar and it's truly about personal preferences.

The way I look at it is that Maryland has one of the premiere policy programs in the world with a faculty, to name a few, that include one Nobel Prize winner in Economics (Tom Schelling), a former CIA director (Stansfield Turner), and former U.S. Trade representative Susan Schwabb. In addition, they have many top academic leaders in policy/politics/economics like Carmen Reinhart and highly rated political science and economics programs where you can also take other courses. The faculty at Maryland is truly top notch and the list of notable University of Maryland alumni is highly impressive ! (Including Steny Hoyer, US House Majority Leader). Furthermore, the campus itself and policy building are indeed beautiful, which does contribute to a better environment. I am also a big fan of the concentrations they offer, namely ISEP (International Security and Economic Policy).

While the immediate sorrounding area (College Park) is not ideal for a Graduate student, more geared towards undergrads, you are only 25 minutes from D.C., and 40 minutes from Baltimore, so you will not have an issue getting close to something more to your taste.

Note, I did my undergraduate degree at Maryland and I spent four wonderful years there, both academically and socially. Career Service wise they have several career fairs ever year, they are well connected with the D.C. area, and have an impressive support service.

In terms of the young and unprofessional/unenthusiastic people that Erin encountered, again, that is something that can happen at every school...from Berkeley to College Park, but again let's not judge a book by it's cover based on how they were dressed! Also, according to the Diamondback, Maryland's student newspaper, the school of Public Policy experienced a 40% increase in applications this year, so next year you will sorrounded with an even better and more selective class.

In US News, Maryland consistently ranks in the TOP 25 nationwide in policy, economics and political science (among many other programs, but let's stick to social sciences), 37th in the world overall by Shanghai Tao University's highly cited World University Rankings, and 16th overall in the Social Sciences by the same publisher. The Chronicle ranking, based on faculty productivity, puts Maryland at 8th in Public Policy.

I will be at the Open House next week and I will come back with more info. Hope the above info helps !