Waiting on one school...

kiki123

I am waiting to hear back from one school before making a decision on which institution to attend for graduate school. Unfortunately, I am running out of time to hear back from this school, as my next choice demands a decision within the week. I was wondering if it would be orthodox to submit my deposit to the second school and possibly back out if I receive an acceptance to the first one, or if this is an impossible endeavor. Any advice?

I would probably ask this school if an extension to the reply date were possible, while at the same time asking the 2nd school about your status (with a quick explanation of your situation)

Guest HEPhD13

I was wondering this as well. I know someone who accepted two offers (MA programs) and plans to back out of one before the fall. My first reaction was that this is bad etiquette, but is it standard practice?

I would agree that this is definitely bad etiquette! Especially because one of those spots will not be able to be filled by someone else if s/he backs out too late. Also, funding that was allocated may be lost by the department. The other thing to consider is that if they back out after April 15, they may be held financially responsible by the institution not attended.

I would agree that this is definitely bad etiquette! Especially because one of those spots will not be able to be filled by someone else if s/he backs out too late. Also, funding that was allocated may be lost by the department. The other thing to consider is that if they back out after April 15, they may be held financially responsible by the institution not attended.

I definitely think that it is bad etiquette, but I also do not want to miss out in attending a great program. I may try contacting the second school about when to expect a decision....