Public Policy: Harvard vs. Chicago vs. Michigan vs. Columbia

Namash

Hi all,

I am new to gradcafe but reading through the discussions i have learnt alot about colleges you do not otherwise find out. I am a business graduate from Pakistan and have almost a years experience as a research analyst in the public sector.

I am a fulbright candidate which means fulbright processes my admission and decides where i will eventually go based on admission and cost share offered by the university. My application was sent to the following programs.

• Columbia University - School of International and Public Affairs, MPA, Economic Political Development
  • Harvard University - John F. Kennedy School of Government, MPP, Political and Economic Development
  • University of Chicago - Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies, MPP, International Policy
  • University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - Rackham School of Graduate Studies, MPP, Economic Development

I have been accepted at Harvard, Chicago and michigan but have not been informed of the decision from columbia yet. Based on your information what do you guys think about these programs, which one would be the best in my field and which one is most likely to offer an attractive cost share to fulbright. My preference is in the following order: Harvard, Columbia, Chicago and michigan. But i am guessing Michigan being a public university would be the cheapest for fulbright so most likely to be picked. What do you think?

It seems like the tuition is by far the highest at Harvard out of your list.  Michigan has the cheapest tuition, but you wouldn't qualify for in-state tuition so you'd pay the higher amount listed (or the school and the program will pay the higher amount).  All of these schools are great, so you shouldn't be discouraged about any of them.  And UM is a public university, but it's one of the highest ranked institutions in the US.  These rankings put the MPP there at #3 in the country: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-public-affairs-schools/public-policy-analysis-rankings

Private schools tend to have large endowments so they may be able to foot more of the bill than you assume, you shouldn't be worried that you have no chance of attending the more expensive schools.  However, many people probably applied with UM being the top choice for them and it's a very well-respected school and program, so it's a good thing if you go there!  Anyway, good for you and congrats on all those great acceptances!  It doesn't seem like you (or they..) can go wrong!

Edited by JungWild&Free

Hi all,

I am new to gradcafe but reading through the discussions i have learnt alot about colleges you do not otherwise find out. I am a business graduate from Pakistan and have almost a years experience as a research analyst in the public sector.

I am a fulbright candidate which means fulbright processes my admission and decides where i will eventually go based on admission and cost share offered by the university. My application was sent to the following programs.

• Columbia University - School of International and Public Affairs, MPA, Economic Political Development
  • Harvard University - John F. Kennedy School of Government, MPP, Political and Economic Development
  • University of Chicago - Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies, MPP, International Policy
  • University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - Rackham School of Graduate Studies, MPP, Economic Development

I have been accepted at Harvard, Chicago and michigan but have not been informed of the decision from columbia yet. Based on your information what do you guys think about these programs, which one would be the best in my field and which one is most likely to offer an attractive cost share to fulbright. My preference is in the following order: Harvard, Columbia, Chicago and michigan. But i am guessing Michigan being a public university would be the cheapest for fulbright so most likely to be picked. What do you think?

Chicago and Michigan are in a completely different category aren't nearly the same quality as Harvard and Columbia, but they are much cheaper. All things being equal, Harvard is the obvious choice unless Columbia ended up offering you funding. 

Don't trust the Public Affairs/Policy rankings on US News. Everyone in the field knows they are completely wrong/irrelevant. You should direct this question to the Government Affairs subforum where people are actually familiar with these schools.

Edited by soaps

Thanks for the feedback!!! I will definitely check out Gov. Affairs subforum. Fingers crossed for April!!! hope harvard decides to be generous! :P

Chicago and Michigan are in a completely different category aren't nearly the same quality as Harvard and Columbia, but they are much cheaper. All things being equal, Harvard is the obvious choice unless Columbia ended up offering you funding.    Don't trust the Public Affairs/Policy rankings on US News. Everyone in the field knows they are completely wrong/irrelevant. You should direct this question to the Government Affairs subforum where people are actually familiar with these schools.
On the same note, please don't overdose on the Harvard Kool-aid. It has its flaws, just like any other program. I'd factor your total loan amount into your decision as a more important factor than the name on your diploma, if your debt burden will be substantially different between the schools. However, I've learned from these boards that the HKS name tag carries outsize importance in some countries, particularly if you're trying to work in the local government. In these cases, the Harvard name would be much more valuable.

Given that you don't get to choose and Fulbright chooses, my answer is based upon that - and I think that any of these programs will get you where you need to go.  Michigan is probably the cheapest, BUT they won't necessarily be the cheapest in real dollars as their cost share may be less.  Harvard is very expensive, but they are also a very rich school with a LOT of money.  Columbia has a lot of money too, but their endowment can't touch Harvard's - Harvard's endowment is $28 billion whereas Columbia's and Michigan's are only $5 billion.  University of Chicago has a $4 billion endowment.

I agree that had you the choice, Harvard would be the best choice - just because in a field like public policy/government affairs where there are thousands beating down the doors, the Harvard name will make you stand out a lot and can nab another look.  But Chicago, Columbia, and Michigan are also great schools.

Chicago and Michigan for an OOS student are not "much" cheaper than Harvard and Columbia.

Given that you don't get to choose and Fulbright chooses, my answer is based upon that - and I think that any of these programs will get you where you need to go.  Michigan is probably the cheapest, BUT they won't necessarily be the cheapest in real dollars as their cost share may be less.  Harvard is very expensive, but they are also a very rich school with a LOT of money.  Columbia has a lot of money too, but their endowment can't touch Harvard's - Harvard's endowment is $28 billion whereas Columbia's and Michigan's are only $5 billion.  University of Chicago has a $4 billion endowment.

I agree that had you the choice, Harvard would be the best choice - just because in a field like public policy/government affairs where there are thousands beating down the doors, the Harvard name will make you stand out a lot and can nab another look.  But Chicago, Columbia, and Michigan are also great schools.

Chicago and Michigan for an OOS student are not "much" cheaper than Harvard and Columbia.

Each school's endowment is separate, so Harvard's $30 billion plus endowment doesn't mean HKS has access to that money. Their own website points out how tiny their endowment is under "limited endowment." http://www.hks.harvard.edu/degrees/sfs/prospective-students/hks-financial-aid-philosophy#heading_02

Also, even if HKS had a gigantic endowment, it doesn't mean that money gets exhausted. Universities want to earn money on the principal, which is why large endowments grow and don't shrink.

Columbia's endowment is also over $8 billion now.

Edited by soaps

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use