One-year vs. two-year policy programs--comparable at all?

I've finally heard from all the programs I applied to, and the news is good--lots of options! So now I'm trying to understand how these programs differ, and one major question I have is whether or not one-year programs come even close to matching the quality of education and experience offered by two-year programs. I'm wondering specifically about Penn's Master of Science in Social Policy program. I imagine the Ivy League name is worth something (although the program itself doesn't seem to be very highly ranked), and I like its emphasis on social policy, as well as its resources for someone with my specific focus. There's also the obvious benefit of having to pay for only one year, instead of two. BUT, honestly, is any one-year master's comparable to typical two-year programs like Ford, GPPI, Luskin, Heller, and Maryland (all of which I've also gotten into)? Or do one-year students miss out on a lot of key learning and experience?

My gut tells me they're really not the same, and I'm leaning toward ruling Penn out, so I'd be especially interested in hearing from anyone who thinks I might be wrong and should consider them equally (especially if they offer me money, which they might). Any insight would be great!

Edited by mintygreen

At Ford, the MPA is basically the first year of the MPP.  You get the same academic/recruiting/social experience, it's just (obviously) one year so you can't take as much time on electives.  Everyone's situation is different, but for me, I think it could make sense if you are going to waive out of a lot of the core quantitative classes.

If you don't waive out of the building block classes, then you're spending nearly half your program in Calculus, Microeconomics, Statistics and Program Eval.  The magic happens after this point when you actually apply these skills to issues you're interested in, and you start combining quantitative and qualitative skills together.  Again, without waiving classes, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing a 1 year, but others might.

method, that's really helpful insight--thanks! That certainly makes sense. Considering quant is not at all my strong suit--and what will probably get me through those courses is the thought of finally applying those skills in combination with qualitative study--you're probably right that one year just isn't enough for someone in my situation.

Just out of curiosity, from this list of core courses that Penn provides, do there seem to be any glaring omissions, compared to other curricula? Or is it just that a one-year curriculum won't be able to go into these subjects in the same depth?

Policy: Analysis of Issues, Strategy and Process
Law and Social Policy

Quantitative Reasoning
Research & Evaluation Design

Applied Linear Modeling
Economic and Financial Foundations for Social Policy
Capstone Seminar and Internship (I and II)

(The program also includes three electives.)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Minty,

I am also considering MSSP along with the MPP programs I have been admitted to. Penn did offer me money and when I interviewed there, I liked the people and the school. However, I am concerned with the a) lack of a professional degree and B) if I can learn what I need in 1 year. I actually applied to the dual degree with Fels but was unexpectedly not excepted. So now I am wondering if Penn is worth considering at all. I have a phone appt scheduled with the program director and one of the open houses this week to further explore.

Hi Minty,

I am also considering MSSP along with the MPP programs I have been admitted to. Penn did offer me money and when I interviewed there, I liked the people and the school. However, I am concerned with the a) lack of a professional degree and B) if I can learn what I need in 1 year. I actually applied to the dual degree with Fels but was unexpectedly not excepted. So now I am wondering if Penn is worth considering at all. I have a phone appt scheduled with the program director and one of the open houses this week to further explore.

It's tough to know, isn't it? While I'm sorry to hear about your situation, it's good to know someone else is thinking about the same thing. At this point, my doubts about the program combined with comparably better offers elsewhere have ruled Penn out for me, but under other circumstances, I'd certainly still be considering it. Best of luck in making your decision!