Another one of those: LBJ or Heller as "backup"? Help :(

Hello everyone. This is one of those "school A vs school B" questions but I could really really use some advice here. I´m trying to decide what is the best option as a backup in case I don´t get enough funding for SIPA (I have a self-established limit on how much debt I´m willing to take).

What I want to do: Work in the nonprofit sector, particularly gender and environment policy. Long term goal would be to work for a foundation or aid agency implementing/evaluating projects around the globe.

Which program has a stronger name internationally, Heller MA in Sustainable International Development program or LBJ Master of Public Affairs? Academically speaking I think they´re both rigorous and are a good fit with my plans so I don´t worry too much about that.

Additional info: I can already afford any of these two programs and I am an international applicant from Mexico.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Please help!

PS. I´ll give a virtual cookie to whoever responds to this message :)

the_perfect_cookies_g5yxz.jpg

Hmm. Heller is known primarily for its work in social policy. Heller's primary reputation comes from its work in poverty alleviation and income/asset inequality. They are also busily increasing their focus on health policy. 

LBJ has a more well-known international focus. However, I think employers might ask why you chose the MPAff program instead of MGPS if you are interested in international studies. 

ETA: I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer! I like both schools very much - I'm just trying to figure out how your goals would slot into them!

Edited by biscuits

Well, I applied to both programs because their structures and classes fitted with my overall interests. I didn´t really pay attention to the degree I would obtain afterwards. Maybe I should have? I don´t know. Also, boyfriend lives in Texas so that would have been a "plus". And the Heller program is very affordable. Anyway, I suppose the main question is: Internationally, which school/program has better overall recognition/reputation? What would be more strategic?

Biscuits, I know you´re a cousin of the cookie but you can still have it if you want. Thanks MPPgal ;)

I can't answer that question directly because I've been applying/evaluating through a domestic lens. However, you could try checking the list of recent employers for both schools, or emailing career services directly to enquire about alumni in the international arena. Obviously the career services staff will be interested in recruiting you - and thus be enthusiastic about their school - but employment statistics should give you a relatively objective point of comparison. 

I also am considering Heller's MA SID program, though I think I've decided not to do it, but when I was looking at their alumni lists there seemed to be a very strong international presence. I think 2/3 of the class is international, and they do send a lot of their grads into international development.

Check out the post grad jobs, they have a pretty impressive list, where as I read something like 60% of LBJ grads stay in Texas

I would go with Heller. Admittedly I know less about LBJ, but Heller is very strong in their gender studies and enviro policy. They also pride themselves on being internationally focused (2/3 of class as mentioned above), and although they aren't quite as established or large as LBJ, the Brandeis name is very respected in int'l aid.

Waltham isn't quite as cool as Austin, but it's easy to shuttle in to Boston, and there's a lot of great stuff within an hour or two drive.