What to do between now and the start of school in fall?

SocioEd

All of a sudden there are no real deadlines in my life. I wonder what did people do after April and before August, which might be the last long vacation in the foreseeable decades?

Btw, for those of us starting PhD programs in fall, there is a long journey ahead--maybe it's best to be prepared? Recently I found this webpage: http://mattdickenson.com/professional-development/, which contains links to various career guidance for students in Political Science. While many of these read quite useful, are there anything out there for sociology?

Definitely read a lot. Read for fun though as you aren't going to have time to set aside for that for a long while. I would suggest trying to get in the habit of knocking out a book and more a week. If you aren't coming from a sociology background then spend some times reading some intro text books and maybe some books about (or by) the "founding fathers" of sociology. 

Go do something fun. Something new. Make sure you have some fond memories before you start with research.

Try to probably start or extend a hobby. It'll possibly be the only thing that might keep you sane during the next 5 years.

Or conversely, you can start with your thesis and try wrapping it up asap. ... Just kidding, Go get drunk.

If you are going to read, don't read classical "founding father's" stuff.  I'd read some interesting books from just graduated sociology phDs.  Stuff that were dissertations previously, but were just published into books, and things that you are interested in.  These won't be in your readings lists in school since they are so new, but they are important to know about (and having read them gives you an edge) - since they signal where the discipline is going.  I suggested not doing the classical stuff since you will most likely have to do it anyway in your program the first year, and its more helpful/encouraging to do it in the class where your theory professor can contextualize the literature for you better.    

I've asked numerous professors about this and the consensus is RELAX. Grad school gets intense and it gets intense quick, give your brain a rest so you don't burn out. I'm planning on seeing family and reading.

I agree that you should relax, although it wouldn't hurt to start reading ethnographies or whatever social science books you're interested in for pleasure (not in they same way you might if you were studying).

If it's possible, also move to the new place sooner rather than later. A lot of students arrive the week or two before classes and it doesn't give them time to acclimate to their new town, which can be important for a smooth transition.

If it's possible, also move to the new place sooner rather than later. A lot of students arrive the week or two before classes and it doesn't give them time to acclimate to their new town, which can be important for a smooth transition.

This is the same advice I gave myself. Not going to happen, though. This house remodeling project of mine is a behemoth (lament, moan, whine) and the one day a week my work schedule allows me to attend to it is simply insufficient. For those who can move sooner rather than later, I envy you. Think, you'll have a little time to unpack, get organized, and then relax a week or two before classes begin. (Is it the Everly Brothers who sing "All I have to do is dream..."? I am playing that song in my head right about now.)

I would definitely say relax.  I am currently pursuing my hobbies at full force atm (Starcraft II, Magic the Gathering, reading fiction,) while occasionally brushing up on sociological literature.  I am coming straight from undergrad (except for having this spring semester off) and have been doing research in my area of interests for the the past 2 years (albeit in history, but still have read relevant literature) so I do not feel that I will be a "rusty" student and therefore am not too worried about gaining some advantage in this 5-6 month period of free time.  I think it would be far more beneficial in the long run to relax and enjoy hobbies/hanging out with friends during this time.  Also, I plan on saving up for a big vacation over the summer since I currently have a full-time job and do not have to save too much money given that I have full funding, so being able to blow money is cool too.