Omaha, NE

civilboy

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up in Omaha and can probably answer any questions you may have about the city, though I'm not sure what to say about housing. Send me a private message if you feel like it :)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Got accepted to grad program in Speech-Language Pathology.

Can anyone tell me anything about the city? I have looked at craigslist for apartments, but it seems the area around the university is kind of sketchy. Anyone else going to the university? What are your thoughts? How easy is it to get around via public transportation? I will not have a car for my first semester there. Any recommendations as far as apartments go? Any rental agencies to avoid?

I would appreciate any information at all.

Thanks

Omaha is a great city. There is always a ton of stuff going on around here.

I can't give recommendations on specific rental agencies or apartments, but I will say that the area around UNO is quite nice actually, not sketchy. There are a lot of shops and restaurants nearby and downtown is pretty close. If you have a specific location in mind, I can give you more details about it.

As much as I love this city, Omaha's public transportation kind of sucks. If you don't have a car, you will have to use the buses to get everywhere. It's not impossible, it will just be kind of inconvenient. As long as you live close(ish) to the university, and not in some far-out suburb, you should be fine. You can check out this site www.ometro.com to get an idea about what kind of bus routes are available.

I'm from Omaha, so if you have more questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thank you for your info. I checked out the city myself this weekend and it seems like a great place to live. I've already put my name up for an apartment somewhere close to the campus and it seems like a great part of Omaha. I  have a car so I hopefully won't have to worry about public transportation. I'll let you know if I have any more questions!

Omaha is my favorite Midwestern city, I travel there about once per month to catch a concert, nice restaurant, etc.  Omaha has a thriving live music scene!  But you'll definitely want a car, IMHO.  It's a very "sprawly" city, especially as you get out towards the western part of Omaha.  There are some nice trails in the city, and there is one that heads south from Nebraska Medical Center (Field Club Trail - not too far from UNO), but unless you live somewhere near a trail you will want your own set of wheels.  Omaha is not very bike-friendly on the roads (especially during the winter) and as Murklins mentioned not very bus-friendly either.

I will second what Murklins said that the area around UNO is not sketchy.  The sketchy parts of town, IMHO, are south Omaha and north Omaha.

The Old Market is a very happening spot, always some live music to be found and lots of diverse restaurants.  Also, Benson and Dundee are communities with lots of nightlife options.  All of those areas are not too far from UNO (in a car).

You'll love Omaha, best of luck!