accept dream school or go to my undergrad?

na3eem

Hi guys, I am kind of torn here... I got into NYU GSAS for their MA Politics Program... but the email said I was not awarded any fellowship or scholarship with it & so that means I have to pay for it myself.... but its very expensive... i mean im kind of torn,,, either go to NYU and take loans, etc or go to my undergrad (Marist College) & get an MPA for half the price of what it would cost at NYU.. what would u guys do? take the cheaper option or the better school? Also, does anyone know if I should try talking to the department, maybe I can get funding somewhere? 

Contacting the department is a good idea, but don't count on it. Honestly at this point in my life (and with the economy the way it is) I personally wouldn't take on loans, but it is your choice. There have been several heated discussions about that topic on these forums with people arguing both for and against. I would say do what you're comfortable with. Will NYU pay your tuition? Because if not you'll have tuition costs PLUS high NYC cost-of-living. Ouch.

What are your long term goals? Do you intend to go onto your PhD? Is the supervision available at NYU strong and a good fit for you? Also, in terms of debt, how much debt are we talking about? Could you wait and reapply to more schools next year, maybe get funding the second time around?