Chicago or YDS MA?

matthew2725

Hey everyone!

So I'm stuck deciding between Yale's MARc in Hebrew Bible, and Chicago's MA in Bible...My interests are medieval and early modern Jewry (and inter-religious interaction), the book of Esther, liturgical history, feminist theology and rabbinics, but I'm excited to broaden my interests through whichever Master's program I end up picking. I know YDS has Collins, and Chicago has Fishbane, so they're both great places to go with respect to faculty.

I haven't visited Chicago yet, but I've visited Yale and I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about the atmosphere at the Div school. I don't know how to put my finger on it, but I feel like Chicago would just be a little more pluralistic? 

Does anyone have experience with either program, and/or Chicago and New Haven as places to live? I know Chicago has a really terrible reputation because of the neighborhood, but how's the actual atmosphere for students? Is it actually "where fun goes to die?" 

I think you're right about Chicago Div. being more pluralistic. The Div. School at Chicago is basically the religious studies program at Chicago; they have scholars that work on Islam, Judaism, and Hinduism. On the other hand, YDS is more of a Christian ministerial training ground, with the religious studies department as a separate but overlapping unit.