Re-applying: A second chance

I think a lot of first-time applicants underestimate how competitive the field is. It really isn't communicated to you until you're actually stressing out over decisions. I thought my application was ok, not great, but pretty ok until I started reading the results page and the threads on this board. I just knew I was in danger with a low overall GPA (3.2) and applying to pretty competitive schools afterwards.

My advice would be to work on weak points of your application and cast a much wider net, especially if you're not geographically restricted. My advisor said that one problem for first-time applicants is that they try to stay close to home. His point was basically, "You're just putting another restrictive factor when it's already competitive enough."

My goal was to get away from NJ as far as possible so I don't know what I'm going to do yet - reapply or attend NYU (I'm assuming Montclair is a rejection). I would probably work on my GPA, maybe get more experience, and definitely give myself more time to prepare the application (I really rushed through it in December at the last minute which probably affected my SOPs).

Good luck to all! Some of you might end up hearing from your waitlists in the end  :)

I agree that casting a much wider net may be helpful. Initially I did not want to get too far from the east coast. If I have to reapply, I am going to apply anywhere I am considered competitive and that matches my intended concentration. I am not limited at all, so I probably shouldn't have done that to myself to start.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all-

Congrats to those of you who have been admitted! I've been following the thread for a long time but haven't posted yet.  This is my first year applying for the graduate program but my hopes of being accepting are dwindling. I applied to 10 schools and so far have been rejected from 5, Wait Listed at St. Xavier, and I am still waiting to hear back from Florida Atlantic University, Seton Hall, Montclair State and William Paterson University.

I graduated from NYU this past September with a major in Communicative Science and Disorders. My overall GPA was a 3.1 since I did somewhat poorly in 2 major classes (Anatomy & Physiology and Acoustic Phonetics) my sophomore year.  I never retook the classes at NYU, but am regretting that now. Since I don't know if I'm going to be accepted any where this year, I thought y'all might have some insight into what to do to boost my application for next year.

Do you think I can retake those classes online (or at another school) so schools I apply to can see the new grade I get to override the other? Or am I out of luck since they probably should have been taken at NYU while I was still there? I've thought about asking NYU if I could take them this summer, since I know they are offered but I'm not sure if they'd let me since I have already graduated.

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!  :)

Hey all-

Congrats to those of you who have been admitted! I've been following the thread for a long time but haven't posted yet.  This is my first year applying for the graduate program but my hopes of being accepting are dwindling. I applied to 10 schools and so far have been rejected from 5, Wait Listed at St. Xavier, and I am still waiting to hear back from Florida Atlantic University, Seton Hall, Montclair State and William Paterson University.

I graduated from NYU this past September with a major in Communicative Science and Disorders. My overall GPA was a 3.1 since I did somewhat poorly in 2 major classes (Anatomy & Physiology and Acoustic Phonetics) my sophomore year.  I never retook the classes at NYU, but am regretting that now. Since I don't know if I'm going to be accepted any where this year, I thought y'all might have some insight into what to do to boost my application for next year.

Do you think I can retake those classes online (or at another school) so schools I apply to can see the new grade I get to override the other? Or am I out of luck since they probably should have been taken at NYU while I was still there? I've thought about asking NYU if I could take them this summer, since I know they are offered but I'm not sure if they'd let me since I have already graduated.

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!  :)

That`s a good question. Anyone know the answer..I have a B i need to repeat but I can`t take it where I did my 2nd degree as that GPA is set in stone. Plus does anyone know if Grad schools look at that badly by repeating a course many times or withdrawing from a course .

.sorry for the run on sentence - my stupid question mark is not working on my keyboard