UFlorida MA Notification

I got a phone call from them last week. They said they've been slow getting notifications out because they wanted to get the supplemental funding lined up before calling people. I don't remember the name of the person who called me, but she said they were still going to be notifying this week once the money is figured out. She said she'd call back again this week, so I'll let you know if I hear anything else.

It's really weird that they said they were still notifying? Admitted students weekend was this past weekend... Certainly, I didn't hear they were done notifying, but that seemed like a pretty good sign to me. I'm a little distressed at the mixed messages they seem to give people over the phone.

It's really weird that they said they were still notifying? Admitted students weekend was this past weekend... Certainly, I didn't hear they were done notifying, but that seemed like a pretty good sign to me. I'm a little distressed at the mixed messages they seem to give people over the phone.

Was it really this past weekend? That's very strange. I honestly don't know what to think at this point; it was kind of a weird short phone conversation and I haven't received anything in writing at all. Oh well, I'm not going to cry about it I guess; I don't know if I'd want to be in a program that seems not have their shit together. I'll wait and see what she has to say about funding at the very least. Were you accepted?

Edited by dazedandbemused

I just got an email from their graduate organization, but still no word about funding. They mentioned coming to visit, but if there's no reimbursement, it's not going to happen. If I don't hear anything by Thursday afternoon, I'm just gonna send my thanks, but no thanks to the DGS. Did they offer you any specific numbers about funding or just a vague offer of more money if you come?

I would contact Sid Dobrin directly, if you can. He's been very helpful and forthcoming and provided me with most of the funding information I have now.

The standard MA package this year: $9,700/year for two years with a 2-1 teaching load, in additoon to health care and a tuition waiver. They're also doing away with the freestanding MA, so MA applicants who finish on time/in good standing may continue on to the PhD. They accepted 6 MA students. I was also told summer funding, though not a guarantee, has always been available to everyone who asked for it. There is also a one-time/year amount for travel to conferences in which you are presenting. This amount has fluctuated between $400 and $700 the last few years.

The call I got today offered me a fellowship of $4,000/year for up to three years, in addition to the standard package.

Hope this was helpful!