Calgary or Carleton... Decisions, Decisions.

Blake091

Hey All, 

I was hoping to vent/get some input here. 

I've been admitted to both programs I applied to at the University of Calgary and Carleton University.  

At Calgary I applied to the Centre of Military and Strategic Studies for the MA in Strategic Studies, and Also the Norman Patterson School for International Affairs for their MA. 

I was inclined to accept Carleton based on reputation and location, however they did not offer me funding and may require me to retake  introductory economics over the summer.

Calgary's program is also of high quality and is offering $18,000 in funding. However, I'm from Ontario and a little worried about travel, and the fact that the program is less well known. 

I'm so conflicted! 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks 

Hah, your decision was basically the same as mine, except I'm applying for straight political science and my funding was equal for both. I ended up deciding on Calgary, if that helps, because from talking to my potential supervisor, there were a lot more opportunities to go to conferences and work on publications at Calgary so it was a no-brainer for me. You should call the department and ask about that kind of thing?

Hah, your decision was basically the same as mine, except I'm applying for straight political science and my funding was equal for both. I ended up deciding on Calgary, if that helps, because from talking to my potential supervisor, there were a lot more opportunities to go to conferences and work on publications at Calgary so it was a no-brainer for me. You should call the department and ask about that kind of thing?

Thanks for the input, I may call them depending on whether or not I get an e-mail back from NPSIA tomorrow or wednesday. 

Having lived a number of years in both Calgary and Ottawa (and being from neither town), I have to say that city-wise alone, I much prefer Ottawa.

NPSIA's reputation precedes it, and from a number of students in the program, it appears that there are plenty of conference and other opportunitites there.

That being said, U of C is no slouch program-wise, and $18k is nothing to sneeze at... If you're thinking you'd like to go more the academic route anyways, I'd say take the money. For someone going into strategic studies or international affairs, a bit of travel experience is always an asset, no? Gotta get out of your comfort zone!

I'd love to put a face to the name and start at NPSIA with you and the other familiar names on the board in September, but I'd be tempted to say that UofC is the better fit based on the information you provided...

Having lived a number of years in both Calgary and Ottawa (and being from neither town), I have to say that city-wise alone, I much prefer Ottawa.

NPSIA's reputation precedes it, and from a number of students in the program, it appears that there are plenty of conference and other opportunitites there.

That being said, U of C is no slouch program-wise, and $18k is nothing to sneeze at... If you're thinking you'd like to go more the academic route anyways, I'd say take the money. For someone going into strategic studies or international affairs, a bit of travel experience is always an asset, no? Gotta get out of your comfort zone!

I'd love to put a face to the name and start at NPSIA with you and the other familiar names on the board in September, but I'd be tempted to say that UofC is the better fit based on the information you provided...

I Decided on Calgary! 

Maybe we'll still cross paths eventually, since our fields of study are still quite similar! haha :) 

Congratulations on your decision - it's exciting to have something tangible to look forward to in the fall! We may well eventually cross paths. :) All the best in Cowtown! I'll be jealous of the chinooks in the winter haha.

Congratulations on your decision - it's exciting to have something tangible to look forward to in the fall! We may well eventually cross paths. :) All the best in Cowtown! I'll be jealous of the chinooks in the winter haha.

Thanks, 

It was definitely a tough decision! Best of luck to you at NPSIA!