St. John's University

D89

Hi everyone,

Today I received an email stating I've been waitlisted at St. John's University (clinical PhD, child psych track). I called to ask where exactly I am on the waitlist, and the admissions coordinator said he wasn't sure of my exact position on the list, but reassured me that the list is fairly short.  I have already been accepted at Suffolk University, but St. John's is my top choice. 

Without any real sense of my chances of acceptance I think I might go crazy checking my email in the next few weeks.  Are any of you also on the St. John's waitlist?  And to those who have already been accepted, do you plan on attending St. John's or accepting another offer instead?  I'm just trying to gauge 1) how long this "fairly short" waitlist is (so vague...) and 2) how many spots might open up.

Thanks!

It just really depends on that one person who is working with your POI and whether or not they accept the offer. Impossible to know the probability. if it's your top choice, hold out for as long as you can with your other offer until you hear the spot is open or the person took the position. It's not ideal but it's the best you can do.

It just really depends on that one person who is working with your POI and whether or not they accept the offer. Impossible to know the probability. if it's your top choice, hold out for as long as you can with your other offer until you hear the spot is open or the person took the position. It's not ideal but it's the best you can do.

I know that tends to be the case at most universities, but at St. John's you're accepted to the program as a whole rather than a particular professor's research team.  Mentors are not assigned immediately.  It doesn't follow the typical model of each POI having an individual waitlist...so it's difficult to gauge the number of people you're competing against for acceptance.

I know that tends to be the case at most universities, but at St. John's you're accepted to the program as a whole rather than a particular professor's research team.  Mentors are not assigned immediately.  It doesn't follow the typical model of each POI having an individual waitlist...so it's difficult to gauge the number of people you're competing against for acceptance.

Ah got it. Weird/interesting!

I'd probably follow up with the coordinator in 1-2 weeks... that gives time for people who were extended an offer to reject it. Good luck!