Advice on campus visit please

I am going to visit a university next week. I have a meeting with the graduate coordinator who mentioned that afterwards she would like to take me and a few current M.A. students to dinner. I have a pretty significant food allergy to tree nuts. Should I email the graduate coordinator and inform her of this ahead of time? Or would it be better to wait until we meet face to face? I don't want to appear rude by ending up at a restaurant and not eating. Any advice on how to best handle this would be appreciated. 

Edited by BrookeSnow

I am going to visit a university next week. I have a meeting with the graduate coordinator who mentioned that afterwards she would like to take me and a few current M.A. students to dinner. I have a pretty significant food allergy to tree nuts. Should I email the graduate coordinator and inform her of this ahead of time or should I wait until we meet face to face? I don't wan to appear rude by ending up at a restaurant and not eating. Any advice on how to best handle this would be appreciated. 

Yes yes yes email her! That way, she can plan ahead and find the best restaurant to meet your needs. There is nothing rude about taking care of your health! You aren't being pushy by notifying your program about any special diet needs; rather, you are ensuring a safe visit. 

ETA: I informed all schools I visited that I am vegetarian beforehand (which is not as significant as a serious food allergy). It was no big deal, and that way, I knew I would have something to eat at all the events!

Edited by proflorax

Good God, yes - email her as soon as you can.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting someone know that.  I have a very severe but uncommon food allergy myself (banana) and always ask before taking a bite of a baked good ever since somebody didn't tell me what was in hummingbird cake.  I guarantee you, asking her in advance is much more courteous than sitting there at the restaurant, quietly sipping a glass of water, while everybody else awkwardly eats a meal.

Joining the chorus, but yes, definitely let her know your allergy and what you would prefer to do about it (get restaurant details ahead of time, bring your own food, etc.). Also if there are any catered events she might be able to ensure there's something there for you. I have multiple severe allergies (to milk and egg, plus a few others), and on all my visits the schools were very nice and accommodating. You'll be fine! :)