F-1 vs J-1 visas

If I'm eligible for both F-1 and J-1 visas and not subject to the home residency requirement, which should I choose?  My friends studying different programs in the US at the moment said the F-1 is more flexible but to me it seems like the J-1 has some benefits over the F-1: 

• 18 months vs 12 months work 
  • spouse can get study/work rights
  • job offers go through the university's office of international affairs rather than through Dept of Immigration

The main downside seems to be that you have to have a job offer lined up before graduation whereas on an F-1 visa you can be unemployed for 60 days before having to leave the country or change status.  

Can anyone tell me if I have this completely wrong?  Which visa have other people chosen or are thinking of choosing?  

If you have a spouse, the J-1 is significantly better than the F-1 because it will allow your spouse to work. If you are not married then the differences are much smaller; the J-1 is maybe still more convenient locally but you should find out if there is a restriction on how long you can be on it. If there is one, then getting a post-doc in the US could become more complicated because I think many times you get a J visa, not a H1B. You should ask the international students office at your new university. Maybe there are other differences I am not aware of.

FWIW I could choose between the F and J when I arrived, and I chose the F. So far I am as happy with it as I think I would have been with the J.

I agree with fuzzy -- if you have a spouse that wants to work, you should go for the J visa. Otherwise, there is no real benefit of J-1 over F-1. I'm actually not sure what you mean by the 18 months of work available on the J-1 visa. From my understanding, I can extend my J-1 status for an additional 3 years for a post-doc in the US, provided that I have one lined up before I graduate (which is usually the case). Actually, now that I read your sidebar, maybe post-docs don't exist in your field? I'll just leave this post here to clarify (for people in other fields) that J-1 status can have 3 years of post-doc after graduation or 18 months of other academic work.