Georgia State Fall 2013

Neuro_Dave

Hey all, I am going to be going to Georgia State's Neuroscience Institute Ph.D program this fall and am looking for housing in the surrounding suburbs.  Georgia State doesnt have graduate student housing, so I've been looking at apartments and housing options in the safer areas. 

At the moment Decatur and Buckhead are at the top of my list for potential places to lease an apartment from, they seem safe, easily within MARTA distance of GSU, and each with plenty of entertainment and dining/shopping/bars.

Any suggestions about housing complexes or something I may have missed thus far?

I would also be open to a roommate to split the costs of a 2 bedroom apartment.  If anyone else is moving to Atlanta and has interest in finding a roommate.

I attended the GSU NI recruitment weekend, but accepted an offer at another school. I have been at GSU for 2 years doing my post-bac work and have lived in the city for 10, so I'm familiar with the area. From the 2 spots you listed it sounds like you're trying to stay in town more than suburbs? Atlanta's "suburbs" are 25+ minutes out on the highways. I've never rented in an apartment complex, so I don't know much about that, but Decatur is a great place to live and is a bit safer than the rest of the city. I still wouldn't walk around late at night alone, but that goes for all areas of Atlanta. Other options are East Atlanta (where I live), Edgewood, Kirkwood and Oakhurst which are all relatively close to downtown. Will you have a car? If not, factor in how close you are to the MARTA train stops. 

I currently work in one of the NI labs at GSU and know most of the grad students so if you have any questions, I'm happy to try to answer them.

I got accepted into Dr. Pallas' lab, and I've been corresponding with her current PhD student Tim.  They have both been amazing with helping me get acquianted with Atlanta and Georgia State in general.  I havent had the opportunity to meet any other incoming students yet though, or current gradaute students.  Hopefully that will chance in the next two weeks when I go down to visit. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am attending Georgia State in the fall of 2013 for a Master's degree in Music. I am moving from Mississippi and although I do have some family in the area...I do not know much about any apartments! I don't know a lot about the neighborhoods but I know that buckhead is desirable...and so is midtown-but I have been looking at apartments and I seem lost! My main concern is safety and distance to GSU. I will have a car...but I've driven enough in downtown to know 2 miles might take 20 minutes. any help or apartment suggestions would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

I am attending Georgia State in the fall of 2013 for a Master's degree in Music. I am moving from Mississippi and although I do have some family in the area...I do not know much about any apartments! I don't know a lot about the neighborhoods but I know that buckhead is desirable...and so is midtown-but I have been looking at apartments and I seem lost! My main concern is safety and distance to GSU. I will have a car...but I've driven enough in downtown to know 2 miles might take 20 minutes. any help or apartment suggestions would be great!

Just wanted to mention how jealous I am. I worked with Deanna Joseph when she was at UMass and she is INCREDIBLE. Best conductor I've ever had, by far. I can't imagine anyone better to learn from. She's also really nice!

I'm looking at apts in Midtown right now that are within biking distance of GSU.  I figure the walking/biking distance of everything in midtown will end up being worth the higher cost of housing that comes with living in Midtown. 

$1000 / month average is still a lot though.  Hopefully I can connect with anybody looking for a roommate?  No luck so far though.  I keep hoping I get news from the department that they can support summer funding for me so I can move down and start doing research early.  Plus its always a good idea to be acclimated to a new city before the fall semester starts.