While in grad school...no work experience on resume for years?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else here was anticipating going through this same thing while at grad school. Where I am going, full-time or part-time jobs are discouraged and they want students to focus on their coursework and developing foreign language skills. There are assistantships but only a limited amount - you can't really 'plan' that.

During the summer between year 1 and 2, they want students to take either an internship or intensive language program. I am thinking of going with the intensive language program because the language I want to study is a difficult one (critical language).

However, I am currently unemployed with not a lot of work experience (almost all of it except internships from 3-4 years ago are unrelated to IR/govt). I have been having serious trouble finding a job before Fall 2013. Essentially, if I took the foreign language program during summer 2014 I would graduate in Spring 2015 with absolutely no work experience on the resume since late 2012. Does that pretty much nullify the benefit of having an MA degree? How many hiring managers would realistically choose a candidate that was unemployed (in school or not) for the previous three years?

Any suggestions? Are there any others on here who have similar worries about not being able to find work during and after graduate school?

Edited by SkyStrike

It would help to know where you're going to school, what you're planning to study, and what your long-term professional goals are... 

But as a general rule, experience is just as valuable as education - so you need both in order to really make your graduate degree count when you graduate.

I would also say it depends on the reason for the gap in employment... I know this is usually a pretty personal issue, so I on't ask, but future employers will want to know whether or not they're willing to ask.

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm studying IR/national security. My goal is to serve in the IC after graduation but I'm not sure what the job market will look like by then with sequestration.

As for the reason for the gap, aside from school it would be the fact that I just can't get an interview from anyone. Though I haven't kept exact count I feel confident in saying I have applied to close to 600-700 jobs since December, using indeed, bradtraverse, ypfp, LinkedIn, monster, usajobs, federal government agency websites, collegegrad, careerbuilder, defense contractors, financial services companies - positions of varying levels, duties and pay that seem to fit my background. I have no criminal or drug background so that's not it either.

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm studying IR/national security. My goal is to serve in the IC after graduation but I'm not sure what the job market will look like by then with sequestration.

As for the reason for the gap, aside from school it would be the fact that I just can't get an interview from anyone. Though I haven't kept exact count I feel confident in saying I have applied to close to 600-700 jobs since December, using indeed, bradtraverse, ypfp, LinkedIn, monster, usajobs, federal government agency websites, collegegrad, careerbuilder, defense contractors, financial services companies - positions of varying levels, duties and pay that seem to fit my background. I have no criminal or drug background so that's not it either.

Where are you located and where is your prospective graduate school located?

This matters... For example, I studied abroad my senior year of college and then did an internship abroad... then I moved back to my hometown (small town in the South) and started applying for jobs and internships abroad and in D.C... for four months, no response... not one.. I finally decided I had to go to where the jobs are first... So I saved money, moved to D.C., and within a month I had three interviews and an offer... Location matters.

Edited by PrattIAFF

Prefer not to say but it's not a DC school.

Is it really the case that having a DC address will give you a leg up on an application? Just seems ridiculous... Why would an employer just go ahead and assume someone applying to a DC job isn't able to relocate or travel? I guess I just always thought it wasn't the wisest thing to do to, to move to a place without even having a job lined up.

Where are you located and where is your prospective graduate school located?

This matters... For example, I studied abroad my senior year of college and then did an internship abroad... then I moved back to my hometown (small town in the South) and started applying for jobs and internships abroad and in D.C... for four months, no response... not one.. I finally decided I had to go to where the jobs are first... So I saved money, moved to D.C., and within a month I had three interviews and an offer... Location matters.

Prefer not to say but it's not a DC school.

Is it really the case that having a DC address will give you a leg up on an application? Just seems ridiculous... Why would an employer just go ahead and assume someone applying to a DC job isn't able to relocate or travel? I guess I just always thought it wasn't the wisest thing to do to, to move to a place without even having a job lined up.

It actually is the case, and it's no more fair than someone less qualified getting the job you want because they know someone... but it is a reality that you are facing... And when I moved, I had a job lined up with a large restaurant chain that I worked for... I just transferred... I realize this isn't an option for most people, but I worked restaurant jobs throughout college and through to unpaid internships in D.C.... so I kind of had a fall-back "career."

I'll keep that in mind, thank you. Out of all the times I wondered what it'd be like to be a fly on the wall during hiring decision time, that thought about applicant location never even crossed my mind.

As for retail/restaurant and other unrelated work, that's another issue I've been having - everyone who does resume review for me suggests I my jobs like that off. So it still leaves a gap. My last DC internship was 2010. The other jobs were for financial services corporations (temp contract ran out).

Edited by SkyStrike

I remember one of the current students at this school mentioned working while going to school, so it's certainly doable, if miserable. Maybe have a chat with whoever you are assigned as an advisor (or just email one of the faculty, if you don't want to wait that long), and see if he/she thinks having a job would be worth the extra work for your circumstance. Of course, there's not really a lot of job options in this particular location anyway, so it might be a moot point.

You could take my job if you want. I'm looking forward to quitting in the fall. Then again, I wouldn't really wish the heartburn it comes with on anyone. :P

For comparison, it's the first "grown up job" I've had (sort of), and while I will have an RAship in the second year, I'm pretty weak on the experience part too. No out of state internships -- and certainly nothing related to D.C. -- or the like. It is what it is.