How much do politics matter?

brinswan

I have a strong opinion on this for a few reasons.

I personally would never be able to go a place where people's political views differ from me drastically. I am in the social sciences, so many of the types of things researched are politically contentious. If what you want to research is going to reach into areas of political controversy (which all the good ones do, in my opinion), it will be good to have someone who is in line with you politically, but is also able to think about how you are framing, how it will be received, etc.

Secondly, and I know this may be offensive to some, but it is really hard to believe that some of a certain political viewpoint would have the same academic and intellectual ethics I do.

Ok, I am having a terrible time articulating what I mean without saying people who believe X can't possibly be good, thoughtful scholars. I guess what I mean is that political views and academic integrity overlap. I want to be somewhere I KNOW has the same/similar outlook on education/academia that I do.

So yes, I think it matters. I would never date someone with opposing political views nor would I go to school with opposing views.

Call me ridiculous, I don't care.

Ok, so I was curious and looked through your posts and deduced what political issue you are referring to.

Yes, it appears that this is incredibly contentious and I would therefore argue that it WILL matter. I can tell you now that this is a cause of departmental tension in a few programs at my undergrad. A tenured faculty is now looking to leave because of a reaction (or lack thereof) to a recent event.

If you want your work to be supported, go somewhere people agree with are.

Now I am just curious where you stand on this issue.

Having divergent viewpoints should not preclude someone from engaging in intellectual discussions about a topic. If I wanted to talk to someone with the same views on everything as myself, I would sit in front of the mirror and have the most fascinating conversations.

Although being, say, a holocaust scholar in a department where most people deny it happened might be a tough one.

I personally would never be able to go a place where people's political views differ from me drastically. I am in the social sciences, so many of the types of things researched are politically contentious. If what you want to research is going to reach into areas of political controversy (which all the good ones do, in my opinion), it will be good to have someone who is in line with you politically, but is also able to think about how you are framing, how it will be received, etc.

Agreed. My discipline has a strong social justice bent and I wouldn't go to a program that didn't. Also, I enjoy talking political issues and like doing it with likeminded folks. For a lot of reasons, I doubt I'd fit in with a bunch of white, rich, Polo shirt wearing, conservative guys.

I agree that it's not necessarily crucial that people completely *share* beliefs or opinions about things. I suppose though it's possible that politics can inform academic behavior and make certain subjects or lines of thinking "taboo". This is what I worry about. If I know for a fact that a prospective advisor has very strong opinions against certain scholars or more generally, certain ways of thinking about the discipline, (for what I suspect are reasons that are more political than intellectual) does this necessarily mean we won't be able to work together?

The way you put it is pretty general, and could go either way. If his or her objections are in fact academic and not political, you should be able to work together. I could even see it possibly improving your understanding of your own position by giving you a deep understanding of the opposing side.

However, if the adviser conflates academic and political issues, then I see a much larger potential for him or her to throw a hissy-fit and kind of treat you as a burdern rather than giving you the attention you'll need.

Personally, one of my prospective advisers is a big admirer of Ronald Reagan (my focus is on the New Right). Though I doubt he'll turn me into a supply-sider, I think having someone smarter than me represent the opposing position will keep me in check, and prevent my from lapsing into simplistic criticisms that might be possible if you're surrounded only by like-minded people. Granted, I haven't started the program yet, but I think having a divergent opinion from my adviser will make me less susceptible to group-think.

Personally, one of my prospective advisers is a big admirer of Ronald Reagan (my focus is on the New Right). Though I doubt he'll turn me into a supply-sider, I think having someone smarter than me represent the opposing position will keep me in check, and prevent my from lapsing into simplistic criticisms that might be possible if you're surrounded only by like-minded people. Granted, I haven't started the program yet, but I think having a divergent opinion from my adviser will make me less susceptible to group-think.

You are braver than I, misterpat. My focus is also going to be the new right (in soc), and there is NO FUCKING WAY I could have a Regan lover in a ten mile radius of my dissertation. Well, I want to do ethnography so there will be some, but none advising me.

Oh god. I am someone whose political beliefs ooze into everything that I talk about. I would die.

With several notable exceptions (The New School, George Mason economics, etc.) I wouldn't worry too much about ideological rigidity. In all but the smallest programs you will probably find a few kindred spirits. Also, (as stated above) most accredited MPA/MPP programs display a surprising amount of consensus around best practices.

If this is a major concern, I would advise that you do extensive Google Scholar searches on the faculty you would most likely be working with. Move on if their work doesn't pass your personal smell test.

i study middle east studies, and i have to say that the political views of the faculty and student body have actually influenced my decisions in both my undergrad and grad school careers. I have attended schools/classes in which my views meshed and others where they didn't, and though I do believe that it depends on the particular person's motives for their beliefs, for the most part, i'd rather have a 'fit' in this regard; i have gotten along perfectly with people who have the exact opposite views as me and i respect them for it, but there are some situations in which a person's beliefs on certain issues are more emotionally or religiously charged rather than academically so.

I have just felt more comfortable when doing my research when i don't have to worry about extreme partisanship...i understand that my area is controversial and that's why ive studied it, but i have to admit, the politics of it all (within america/europe) tends to annoy me sometimes.

You are braver than I, misterpat. My focus is also going to be the new right (in soc), and there is NO FUCKING WAY I could have a Regan lover in a ten mile radius of my dissertation. Well, I want to do ethnography so there will be some, but none advising me.

Oh god. I am someone whose political beliefs ooze into everything that I talk about. I would die.

Hahaha. Maybe I wouldn't be so brave if I hadn't had classes with him before and know that he has a good sense of humor.

Did you decide where you're going yet? Chapel Hill, maybe?

I'm surprised at the number of people who would prefer to be in an environment where they will just have their existing views approved and reinforced. Seems sort of solipsistic to me. Everyone wants to be comfortable rather than challenged. But I suppose that sort of thinking is rampant in our society these days. Personally, I'd rather be exposed to different (even radically different) points of view. I'm sure enough of myself that I can take a little criticism without being reduced to an ineffective puddle on the floor.

I'm surprised at the number of people who would prefer to be in an environment where they will just have their existing views approved and reinforced. Seems sort of solipsistic to me. Everyone wants to be comfortable rather than challenged. But I suppose that sort of thinking is rampant in our society these days. Personally, I'd rather be exposed to different (even radically different) points of view. I'm sure enough of myself that I can take a little criticism without being reduced to an ineffective puddle on the floor.

bullseye :D, I wish I could have written that !

Well, just to throw another example into this, I'll be studying GLBT issues in psychology, so being in a department that has similar political views on gay/lesbian issues is essential to me. This is another area where personal feelings and religious views often influence academic work. Not to mention that, as a queer person, I wouldn't feel safe in an environment that didn't have an open mind towards the GLBT community. I don't think this is about avoiding challenge and simply having my views "approved and reinforced," rather I agree with those who are simply looking for an environment that will allow their voice to be heard, and not suppressed.

Well, just to throw another example into this, I'll be studying GLBT issues in psychology, so being in a department that has similar political views on gay/lesbian issues is essential to me. This is another area where personal feelings and religious views often influence academic work. Not to mention that, as a queer person, I wouldn't feel safe in an environment that didn't have an open mind towards the GLBT community. I don't think this is about avoiding challenge and simply having my views "approved and reinforced," rather I agree with those who are simply looking for an environment that will allow their voice to be heard, and not suppressed.

Well "fit" is the aspect of graduate school applications that people usually stress the most; I think that any department you would be applying to would by necessity have at least a few people who are dealing with the same topics and approaching them from the same general perspective, otherwise what would attract you? But I hope you're kidding about fearing for your safety in any academic department; I had a friend travelling through Zimbabwe last summer - she had to fear for her safety. The real world is not always going to be welcoming, and I appreciate that is even more the case when coming from a GLBT background, but graduate students should probably start dealing with that now, which means coming to terms with the fact that you may have to defend your approach, you may have to struggle to make yourself heard, and you may encounter people who don't support your point of view and may even (perish the thought) try to prove you wrong. And maybe you (and I and everyone else here) are. If so, I would like to know - that's half the reason I'm going back to school; I'm tired of debating issues with myself - it's not as productive.

How are you going to research the New Right if you despise everyone you intend to study and have already drawn all your conclusions before starting the research? I was under the impression that sociology was a social science, and so invested in the dispassionate model of research. You say you suspect them of being "intellectually unethical," but believing that an entire group of people is unqualified to be in academia because they don't share your political views sounds pretty intellectually questionable to me.