BU- worth the $$

Hey guys!

So I'm trying to make my decision about BU and an instate school. I am completely torn. BU has always been a dream school, but it's so expensive and I didn't get funding. Does anyone have any input on ways to make the tuition less daunting? / what are your thoughts on $62,000 a year?

I am in the same boat, but with Northwestern. It's my dream school and the program has focus on my interest areas that no other schools do. But I wonder if I will ever forgive myself if I spend that much on school when I have much cheaper options. I am so torn with this decision, and really don't know how I'm going to decide. :-/

I was in the same situation until recently. I go to BU currently, and I always thought that I wanted to stay, because I had built up BU as the best program.

However, I went to another open house, and realized that other programs are just as comparable. In all honesty, the tuition at BU doesn't differentiate it from. Other programs. The tuition mostly goes to things like being able to use the school gym and other things like that. Granted, the program is amazing, but I personally don't think it's worth paying that much more money for the same classes you'll get anywhere else.

The difference comes down to clinical placements. If your program can offer you good placements, I think you'd be set. This is just my honest opinion. Best of luck in your decision!

I think it also depends on your post-Master's plans.  If you plan on pursuing a doctorate, a school with a "name" might be worth the investment; especially if you are working alongside highly respected professors in the profession.  Or, if you plan on working with a specific disorder or a specific population group, going to the school with that focus may be worth it as you'll get experiences working with those groups.

However, if you plan to work in a more general setting- such as in an elementary school, most programs will prepare you for that track.

Thanks for all of the input! It's between UConn (instate) and BU so the price difference is drastic. Such a hard decision! 

UConn seems to have a highly regarded program. I don't think you can go wrong either way from an academic perspective; it's all about your personal comfort level with loans and debt and where you want to spend the next couple of years.