Accept NSF GRFP or NDSEG?

iccanobif

I have received both NSF & NDSEG and don't know which to accept. I'm doing cell microfluidics in a bioengineering department and am not sure which would be easier to upkeep (in terms of yearly reports). Does anyone know about this or have recommendations on which to say yes to?

Note: I have already deferred the NSF 2 years due to Fulbright work, but the NDSEG I found out about today. Could I defer the NDSEG two years to get 2 years funding out of NSF and switch back to the NDSEG?

Thanks!

you definitely will not be able to accept both. they no longer allow you to defer one for the other. i'm not sure if NDSEG allows for deferral for fullbright. i'd contact the NDSEG team at ASEE; i'm sure they'll get back to you shortly

Congrats on getting both! I got the NDSEG too (couldn't apply for NSF cause I have an MS)

NDSEG is more money and more prestigious (~7% acceptance rate, NSF is ~15%) but the NDSEG team seems to really not like deferrals since they don't even have that option in their offer, only accept/decline, and they specifically state that it cannot be deferred. So my recommendation would be to email the NDSEG people just in case and see if they will let you defer, otherwise take the NSF, but make sure to say "NDSEG Fellowship 2012-2013 (deferred)" on your CV so people know how awesome you are.

I was recently told the NSF GRFP is the most prestigious out of the awards.  Meaning when people see that on your CV, it means a lot more than other fellowships, acceptance rate doesn't dictate prestige because most government issued fellowships are extremely competitive.  I personally would ask professors in your field, about which one is the best.

I personally would choose the fellowship that allows the most flexibility and the one that you know for sure you only have one chance at applying to.  Btw, congrats on getting both, that's a major achievement.