Michigan State

I'm going to keep this short and sweet.

Has anyone received official word about funding from MSU? They told a few of us that the package was in the mail weeks ago, and I'm starting to get antsy. . . Waiting is no fun, and I've been seriously considering the program, but it's hard to make decisions without something in writing. Anyone?

You are already accepted, right? Have they told you about funding and just not sent the written offer, or are you still waiting to hear about funding?

If it's the former, I would say that the graduate school, not the department, needs to send you a packet, and that might be taking longer. You can call the department, but I doubt that will get packets out sooner; however, you should email/call the department to get any clarification on the funding that you need. I wouldn't be too worried about accepting an offer if they promised you funding in email but you haven't received a hard copy yet--email is "in writing." My partner accepted an offer that was just via email, but we know that the school isn't going to back out of that, and he emailed the head of the department with more questions than a written letter would have even covered.

If you don't know about funding, though, I would definitely encourage you to politely contact them and figure out when you will know. We've already passed the ides of March, and schools need to give us time to think things over before April!

I was also accepted to MSU and have received funding information.

For sure contact the DGS.

I would assume that if you were sent admittance notification, then you can expect funding.

That said, these are interesting times...

What a crappy app season!

I got an official funding package yesterday. . . . Thank everything holy.

They're looking really, really good to me. Every contact I've had with them has been positive, professional, and friendly. I appreciate their lack of pretension. It seems rare.

And yes, what a crappy app season. I'm glad to have gotten in where I did, and feel extremely fortunate.

I appreciate their lack of pretension.

Are you sure it's a graduate English program? Because I'm pretty sure they are required by definition to be a mix between pretentious hipsters and middle-school drama.

:D

It looks good. Among other things, it's guaranteed for five (maybe more) years, and partner benefits are part of the deal, which helps me with my SO.

It's less money than another school has offered, but the benefits mean a lot, and the fact that the grad students are unionized sweetens the deal (guaranteed raises, guaranteed 1/1 teaching load, etc). Overall, I've been very impressed with MSU.

I hope that helps. I don't want to give out numbers; something about that just feels weird.

I posted some $$ info a few weeks back. I got my acceptance in late February, went for a (paid) campus visit in early March, and was told while there that I'd be receiving 5 years support: free tuition, TAship (1:1), health benefits, and an appx. $13k stipend (stipend goes up and down depending on teaching experience). The lucky 2-3 who got fellowships get much more in stipend $$, but the rest of the package is comparable.

I agree with the earlier poster who said that MSU's English folk lack pretense. I was also relieved by this. They're a theory-based program, expansive in scope, transcontinental. There's no arbitrary dead-white-guy requirements: Shakes/Milty/Chaucer. There's no periodicity req.

I'm stoked about this program -- it's right up my alley. I sat in on a class one night and found the discussion to be enlivened. The students were serious about the conversation, attentive, engaged, informed. The prof was uber-prepared and gracious. The reading for that night was thought-provoking and like nothing I'd read as an MA student, but I "got it" pretty easily. The students aren't pretentious either.

Seems like a great group of folk, and queer-friendly to the max. Everyone referred to her/his SO as "partner," even straight folks. Coming from the buckle of the bible belt, that was a warm and fuzzy I hadn't expected but was relieved and heartened by.

Any other info you want -- I advocate complete transparency -- message me. Also, anyone who plans to accept English PhD/MA offer who justs wants to engage a like mind, message!

GO SPARTANS! :)

Hey, bluedude. . . .

I totally second everything you wrote about MSU. I just got another wonderful email from Scott, and I'm starting to think that maybe--just maybe--I've made my decision. That won't stop me from freaking out for another two weeks or so, but everything MSU-related has been pleasant, which is more than I can say for a couple of the other programs to which I was admitted.

I went to the big recruitment weekend visit in late February and felt right at home. Why on earth I've ignored that until almost this very moment I do not know.

I also second your queer-friendly observation, and I would add that everyone seemed friendly to whatever floats your particular boat in general. I was thrilled that everyone was so open, for many reasons, and I also like the fact that I didn't get the sense that anyone would judge my non-academic partner for being a non-academic (not an anti-academic, though).

And to return to a previous thread we'd discussed--I think my partner and I are going to jump right in and get a place, but I did notice that the Lansing craigslist has a LOT of options for short term housing. You should check it out.

Maybe we'll see each other in August. . . . :wink:

I know you guys all seem to like Michigan State..... but I thought I should let you know that the faculty gets together every third sunday to slaughter innocent puppies.

... I'm just saying, maybe you guys should reconsider... you know, unless you really hate puppies.

(P.S.-- I'm on their wait list :wink: )

I know you guys all seem to like Michigan State..... but I thought I should let you know that the faculty gets together every third sunday to slaughter innocent puppies.

... I'm just saying, maybe you guys should reconsider... you know, unless you really hate puppies.

(P.S.-- I'm on their wait list :wink: )

Wait, you heard that too!

Then it must be true... I knew the DGS seemed too nice to be true: who answer's emails from wait listees at 8:00pm on a Sunday? Someone about to slaughter puppies in some ornately cruel ritualistic fashion, thats who.

They're all puppy killers there.

I know, I'm from Michigan, its what we do. Like folks in early modern Paris on Midsummers Day, okay maybe a touch less mob spectacle and more Catholic service puppy slaughter in lieu of wafer and wine.

Laugh if you want, abluedude, but what if its true?

MSU could be like the Norman Bates of English Departments.

(sorry couldn't resist)