is anyone attending a ma program?

Guest hellok

Guest hellok

Hello,

Is anyone going to be attending a master's program for psychology? What are some good programs to apply to?

Guest Squirrely

Unless your interest is in counseling or school/educational psychology, it doesn't make a lot of long-term sense to get a terminal masters. A lot of people reason that they will get the masters and then reapply to higher-class doctoral programs, but often the credits from a terminal masters program don't transfer easily into the majority of doctoral programs (unless, of course, if you were going to apply to the PhD program at the school where you obtained the masters). Also, the masters is generally accompanied by greater financial hardship than the PhD. One generally doesn't receive outside funding/assistantships/tuition remission for masters programs, which can actually make it more expensive in the long run than the doctorate.

All that being said, if you know you only desire a masters, I suppose there's no point in waisting your time and energy with 3-4 more years of school.

I was accepted into a masters program, but for the reasons I outlines above, I declined the offer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i am doing an ms in psych at northeastern, i will be licensed in a few years. the financial aspect of it sucks, but unless you have experience and stellar references and grades it will be near impossible to get into a phd. i busted my ass off just to get into the ms program.