California State University, Northridge

Does anyone know anything about CSUN's program?

Also, I thought (and was told) it was a 2 year program, but just read on a grad cafe admissions comment that CSUN does not guarantee a 2 year time span for graduation.  Is that because it's difficult to get classes?

Anyways, if anyone has any information about the program and is willing to share, I would really appreciate it! :)

In the acceptance packet I received from another CA school, it stated that they would try to, but cannot guarantee the classes availability to graduate students in 2 years. This is due to budget cuts in California. I believe this would be the same for CSUN.

How does their cohort system run? Do they have each student assigned to a particular schedule, in which you are structured to take x,y,z classes in order? Thus all students are assigned to a schedule, and there are no fighting for spots in classes? Or will it be like undergrad all over again where you might not get some classes?

If you were accepted, I'd definitely recommend you contact them to answer these questions for you, and consider that all when you're choosing which school to attend.  :ph34r:

Hey, I am going to be starting the CSUN distance learning masters programs in a couples weeks here.  The way they do it for the distance programs at least (which I assume would be similar for the on campus one) is that they put a hold on your record for your cohort.  I emailed them asking about this hold and a woman emailed me back saying that I didn't even have to enroll for the given classes in my cohort, she said that that would be done for me as I am part of the cohort.  She said all we have to do is pass classes and pay tuition and all the enrollment would be done for us as part of the cohort.

In the acceptance packet I received from another CA school, it stated that they would try to, but cannot guarantee the classes availability to graduate students in 2 years. This is due to budget cuts in California. I believe this would be the same for CSUN.

How does their cohort system run? Do they have each student assigned to a particular schedule, in which you are structured to take x,y,z classes in order? Thus all students are assigned to a schedule, and there are no fighting for spots in classes? Or will it be like undergrad all over again where you might not get some classes?

If you were accepted, I'd definitely recommend you contact them to answer these questions for you, and consider that all when you're choosing which school to attend.  :ph34r:

Thanks for the response Speechbanana :) Yeah, since CSUN is also a state school, I'd assume that California budget cuts are affecting them as well.

I'm actually still waiting for a response from CSUN, but I'm adding them into my decision-making process just in case I do get accepted (the April 15th deadline is coming up!)  Hopefully I hear back from them soon, and I'll definitely keep the suggested questions in mind when I give the department a call. :)

Hey, I am going to be starting the CSUN distance learning masters programs in a couples weeks here.  The way they do it for the distance programs at least (which I assume would be similar for the on campus one) is that they put a hold on your record for your cohort.  I emailed them asking about this hold and a woman emailed me back saying that I didn't even have to enroll for the given classes in my cohort, she said that that would be done for me as I am part of the cohort.  She said all we have to do is pass classes and pay tuition and all the enrollment would be done for us as part of the cohort.

Hello! I applied for the on-campus program, so I'm not sure if the program works the same way.  I didn't think that it did, but I could very well be wrong.  Thanks for the response, and good luck with your program! :)

I am looking into CSUN's program as well :] I've tried to browse around their website but have not found much info. Do you know how large the classes are? Have you attended any orientations? I'm thinking of attending the one next week to get more info. 

I am looking into CSUN's program as well :] I've tried to browse around their website but have not found much info. Do you know how large the classes are? Have you attended any orientations? I'm thinking of attending the one next week to get more info. 

Hi! :) I attended one of their information sessions last summer.  I wish I had asked more questions, but it didn't occur to me at the time.  It's the largest program in California, and they take 50 students a year.  The info was fairly basic, and most of the people in attendance were looking into taking SLP-related classes after their BA in an unrelated field, so those types of questions drove that particular session.

They also told me that it was a solid 2-year program though, and didn't mention anything about California budget cuts not guaranteeing graduation in 2 years... So, you might want to ask about that if you do go.

Thank ylime! Do we have to confirm that we're going to the orientation or is it kind of those things that you to show up to? Is it a Q&A type of thing? Thanks! 

If it's the same once a month info session that I attended, I believe you just show up.  They provide basic information, and pass out information packets.  Towards the end, they do ask if you have any questions, but you can ask questions throughout the session :)

• 4 weeks later...

I will be attending their residential/traditional program this fall.  Anyone else here going, for sure?  They haven't sent out information packets and their monthly orientations are very general, for people interested in applying to the pre-CDS and grad programs.  So far there hasn't been any information for new grads, so I was hoping to meet other people that will be starting the grad program this fall.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I will also be attending the traditional program is fall.  Has anyone received the information packet?  The lack of communication worries me; ever since the acceptance email, it is difficult to get solid information other than "don't worry". 

Hello SLPDad,

I haven't received a packet but I called the dept and they told me my advisors name, I emailed her and we Skyped and set up my schedule. I would call if you want to get all that done, registration is late June, there will be an orientation during the summer as well.

Thanks Jackie for sharing your experience.  I'll definitely call them tomorrow.

If you don't mind sharing... did your advisor mention anything about conditionally-classified status? (reading it on the website) 

thanks again...BTW, I'm Jay

Nice to meet you Jay! She didnt discuss my status but she did send me the form with all the classes needed to be classified, I'm missing CD465 and have to take it before I'm classified, I just filled it out and sent it back to her. Ask your advisor, he/she will probably have you do the same.

• 1 month later...

Nice to meet you Jay! She didnt discuss my status but she did send me the form with all the classes needed to be classified, I'm missing CD465 and have to take it before I'm classified, I just filled it out and sent it back to her. Ask your advisor, he/she will probably have you do the same.

thanks Jackie,  I finally straightened out everything (advisor meeting, financial aid, got an ID card ...).  I'm missing CD465 and CD485 (no equivalent classes offered @ my school).  Can't believe that we are already registering for the Fall classes!  Yeah.