[HELP] How do I tell my professor that I no longer need his LOR for scholarship?

Earlier this week I emailed 3 professors (same professors who wrote my LOR for school application) asking for a LOR for scholarship applications, and all three them quickly responded and all agreed. At the time I thought I would need 3 letters of LOR, but turns out I only needed 2. The professor that I no longer need reference from is now abroad, and it would cost me close to $200 to mail him the addressed envelopes and have him mail me back, and I'm already pretty broke...

What should I say in my email so that I won't seem rude? Any advise is greatly appreciated! 

Wait, so he can't email you a copy of his letter signed and you put it in an addressed envelope for him?  I've done that before and no one questioned me.

I typically have a close relationship with all my letter writers and I hope you do to.  Explaining your financial situation and how you "just realized" you only need 2 letters should be enough.  Any professor will understand your situation as they have likely been in the same financial situation when they went to college.  I doubt the professor would be offended.

But make sure you mention that you realized you only needed 2 letters because the professor may recommend emailing the letter as a means to save money.  Then again, having the extra letter would be beneficial in case your other letter writers don't send you the letters back on time.

I do feel a little awkward asking for the letter to me emailed to me. I worked with the professor for 1.5 years when I was an undergrad, but it's been two years.

I think I'll let him know that I can't afford it, he should understand? I'm not sure if letting him know that I only need 2 LORs is a good idea though... Feel like it might give him a bad impression that he is not as important as the other two recommenders...

What do you think?

Wait, so he can't email you a copy of his letter signed and you put it in an addressed envelope for him?  I've done that before and no one questioned me.

I typically have a close relationship with all my letter writers and I hope you do to.  Explaining your financial situation and how you "just realized" you only need 2 letters should be enough.  Any professor will understand your situation as they have likely been in the same financial situation when they went to college.  I doubt the professor would be offended.

But make sure you mention that you realized you only needed 2 letters because the professor may recommend emailing the letter as a means to save money.  Then again, having the extra letter would be beneficial in case your other letter writers don't send you the letters back on time.

He's a professor, he doesn't need to feel anymore important than he already is :)  you need to send an email fast, worst thing is that he prepares a letter for this scholarship before you tell him you don't actually need his letter.

I would write an email along the lines of,

"Hello, I wanted to let you know that I no longer need a letter of rec for the scholarship I'm applying to.  I just realize they only require 2 letter of recommendations and not 3.  I was wondering if you'd be okay not writing me a letter of rec because it'd cost me $200 to mail the envelopes to you with return postage.  I'm really sorry for any inconvenience and I really appreciate your willingness to write me a letter and hope you will write me a letter in the future...blah blah blah"

Obviously, you want to polish this up a lot, but hopefully you get the idea.

You don't have to mention that the scholarship only requires 2 letter.  However, if the professor recommends emailing you his letter and you don't send it in, there's a chance he may find out.  I don't think it's a big deal to just say the scholarship only needed 2 letters. 

I've even asked a professor to write me a letter as a backup in case another professor didn't send his letter.  I ended up having to use his letter and I got the grant I applied for and they cited his letter of rec as being a reason why I got the grant.  So don't be afraid to just be honest!  Honestly, if he's working abroad, he'll probably be relieved that he doesn't have to worry or remember to send a letter of rec on time.

I think you made good point... Honesty is probably for the best.

I'll type up the email and get it over with... Thanks!

He's a professor, he doesn't need to feel anymore important than he already is :)  you need to send an email fast, worst thing is that he prepares a letter for this scholarship before you tell him you don't actually need his letter.

I would write an email along the lines of,

"Hello, I wanted to let you know that I no longer need a letter of rec for the scholarship I'm applying to.  I just realize they only require 2 letter of recommendations and not 3.  I was wondering if you'd be okay not writing me a letter of rec because it'd cost me $200 to mail the envelopes to you with return postage.  I'm really sorry for any inconvenience and I really appreciate your willingness to write me a letter and hope you will write me a letter in the future...blah blah blah"

Obviously, you want to polish this up a lot, but hopefully you get the idea.

You don't have to mention that the scholarship only requires 2 letter.  However, if the professor recommends emailing you his letter and you don't send it in, there's a chance he may find out.  I don't think it's a big deal to just say the scholarship only needed 2 letters. 

I've even asked a professor to write me a letter as a backup in case another professor didn't send his letter.  I ended up having to use his letter and I got the grant I applied for and they cited his letter of rec as being a reason why I got the grant.  So don't be afraid to just be honest!  Honestly, if he's working abroad, he'll probably be relieved that he doesn't have to worry or remember to send a letter of rec on time.