OK geographers... I have this idea, see...

fracmeister

Not sure where to post this, but I thought this might be a start

I work in the oil industry and did my PhD long ago....  I have an idea for a non-oil industry related geography application that interests me and which I think could be a commercial tool. In a nutshell it is an advanced "find where you should retire" web app and would target the growing number of people in the 45-65 yo age range.

There are some free services like http://www.findyourspot.com/  but this is pretty weak compared to what I have in mind that would give users real tools to do more specific optimization.

So, why am I bothering you? Well… I am looking for a student or professional who could do enough research and simple coding (I envision some google earth-like interface to the database/spreadsheet under the hood) for me…I can pay for it but I am really more interested in someone with some entrepreneurial interests whose investment in time could (at least partially) be reflected in potential equity.

I have several ideas for cash generation but I would really appreciate it if you could direct me with any suggestions that come to mind…

• 1 year later...

If you're still looking for an answer (1+ year after the fact), I would recommend contacting some graduate programs.  Somewhere there is a student willing to do this for free probably.  Look for programs that reinforce web programming or mobile programming.