Rejections & Dejection is there a brighter side?

Sroek

I applied to thirteen schools! HKS, SAIS, GTown MSFS and CPSS, Yale, Chicago CIR, WWS, GWU Elliot, American U. SIS, USC Annenberg, Josef Korbel, Tufts Fletcher, Columbia SIPA.

Accepted: Denver and Chicago

Rejected: Yale, Tufts, Columbia, Princeton,

Waiting: HKS, SAIS, MSFS and CPSS, GWU, SIS, USC

I'm feeling a bit dejected because I'm worried I won't get a ticket to at least one of the top schools because of my recent rejections. My focus is Security Studies, and I like many of you I'm dreaming of going to a top school. We've all worked hard for this opportunity to go to grad school and I feel somewhat of a camaraderie on this forum because of that and willingness to share our hopes and anxieties. I think I'm down on myself because I never graduated from high school, grew up in the ghetto, and always dreamed of going to a top rate institution despite coming from an undeserved community. Although I'm flattered by Univ. of Chicago, my eye now is on GTown, Hopkins, and Harvard because the programs are exactly what I want. Denver has an amazing curriculum for Intl Security, but I feel second classed compared to the others. I fear about moving my wife and two kids to an unknown place and accruing a debt to live out my dreams. What are your thoughts? Am I alone? Is there a brighter side to all this madness? Some responses would be appreciated.

It's easy to get dejected but I'd like to know who told you that U. Chicago isn't a "top school". It's a fantastic institution that I'm sure most on this forum would be proud to have on their CV.

If you really have your heart set elsewhere, just reapply with a stronger package next year or when the economy gets better. This was a notoriously competitive year for graduate school admissions. That said, thirteen applications sounds as though you might be casting too large a net. It's fine to have backups, but I don't see much point in spending the time and money applying to programs that you can't imagine attending.

That said, thirteen applications sounds as though you might be casting too large a net. It's fine to have backups, but I don't see much point in spending the time and money applying to programs that you can't imagine attending.

Agreed. If you are having doubts on attending either Chicago or Denver, then wait a year and apply only to schools you actually would attend without reservation.

I'm stoked about Denver, but not sure about Chicago because is not an APSIA member, but an affiliate member. I just want the whole package. You know...the reputation, faculty, network base, etc. Thanks for your responses.

not sure about Chicago because is not an APSIA member, but an affiliate member. I just want the whole package. You know...the reputation, faculty, network base, etc.

I understand your anxieties about APSIA membership. All of my advisors have stressed the importance accreditation and membership in organizations like APSIA - and with good reason.

However, in this case I would talk to them and determine if they are building the program or if it is stagnating. I wouldn't be shocked if Chicago were working on becoming a full APSIA member. If they are building to that status in the next few years you could enroll with confidence (assuming you like the place in all other regards).

Chicago is a top quality school and a brand name. Even without APSIA membership that fact alone will get a look at many non-academic positions after graduation. Like anything it's contingent on your priorities.

Actually, according to this years ranking report by Foreign Policy on top M.A programs, it moved up to number 9 on the list. So I think they must be doing something right.