Decision Advice

NYCbound24

Hi all-

I am trying to decide between Columbia and NYU and have no idea which school to go with. I have not had the opportunity to visit either so my only knowledge of the two programs is coming from their websites (I've asked my professors at my undergraduate institution and they have not been able to advise me). I want to do clinical social work. I received comparable scholarships to both schools so that is not a determining factor. Does anyone have any advice for me? I would love to hear from anyone who is going to either school and why they chose that school or students that are attending or have attended either school. All advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Have you applied anywhere else? I got into both as well, NYU is supposed to have a slight clinical edge. But only slight, and Columbia is stronger in everything else.

If the offers are really exactly the same, maybe Columbia? FWIW, I am probably not going to attend either school. For reasons why, see the thread a started a few hours back, "So...money issues"

Some more details: NYU used to be known as "the" school to go to if you wanted to be a therapist. It is still supposed to be very strong in this area, and technically all their students are clinical. There is no other track. But it is starting to evolve under new leadership, they are trying to be more and more like Columbia, beefing up their other offerings. NYU is not the school to go to if you want to have anything to do with administration, though.

Edited by Simbacats

Thank you for your response! I also applied to Washington University and received a larger scholarship there but I am not interested in their research component. My NYU scholarship is $1500 more than Columbia so that it is slightly better but not much. Did you visit both schools? Any insights if so?

I just finished reading your post. Congratulations on your decision to attend Hunter!

Yes, I visited both schools. And talked to the professors at both schools. And talked to many alumni of both schools. There is also a NYU second-year intern at the agency I presently volunteer/have a part-time job at.

I will say that people who went to NYU were slightly more gung ho about their experience than those who went to Columbia, although the intern I know is presently freaking out about graduation and starting to pay back her loans in six months.

Columbia has the reputation for research, but I get the feeling that's pretty much on the doctoral level. Heck, I would LOVE to go to Columbia for my Ph.D. But at the MSW level you are kind of given short shrift attention-wise by the professors, you're there to get that "Columbia" stamp.

Both places are similar in terms of diversity, which is to say, not all that diverse.

I guess the issue too is, where do you want to live after your MSW? If you want to move to NYC the networking would be an advantage if you went to Columbia or NYU, Washington if you want to stay in St. Louis.

I am pretty much set on staying in the NYC area for the near future, plus my family lives in NYC so I can commute and save on the money, so I didn't apply to any school outside of NYC.

The one thing I am aware of is that while Hunter is respected within NYC, the name doesn't necessarily translate well outside of the tri-state area. People have heard of Columbia and NYU though, so you won't have the same problem.

Edited by Simbacats

Thank you so much for your advice. It has helped more than you know!

I am originally from the south and plan on returning to Tennessee or Georgia after graduation so presumably none of the schools could help with networking after college. I believe you are correct though that NYU and Columbia programs would be recognized anywhere.

Do you know how many people are in NYU's program? I could not find that information anywhere on the website.

I admit student population wasn't something I asked too much about. All I know is that both Columbia and NYU accept several hundred people a year, partly to increase their yield. I think it's like a 60-70% acceptance rate. And something like half of the accepted students decline the offer (I am guessing for financial reasons). So I guess you can arrive at a rough estimate that way. Also, there are two "classes" of social work students students, I think, the full-time MSW students, and those OYR who are pursuing their education while working at their particular agency, and the part-timers/OYR numbers might be harder to come by. I could ask, though.

Looking back, I wish I could have done something like OYR. Or had some kind of job with Columbia or NYU. I just didn't get/find those opportunities. One of the social workers at my agency emerged completely debt free from a joint Columbia MPH/MSW program because she was working at Columbia at the same time. Another social worker at my agency emerged from her MSW program from Hunter completely debt free because she did OYR with the agency and also won a city scholarship for OYR professionals at Hunter. 

If Washington has a strong clinical program (and I suspect they do) I'd imagine that it might be the best bet for you, financially speaking. Although again, if you can afford it Columbia/NYU would probably be equally great. The question is, how much you want to pay for the school name.